roll off trucks= hard work?

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by trashtruckin22, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    It can be tough . Boxes can be overloaded or have prohibited materials in them . Frozen loads in Northern states can be a real hassle .
    I knew drivers that hauled boxes from retail stores that set the pressure low on the compactors and salvaged some pretty good returned products out of the loads .
    I knew a landfill owner that had a warehouse to sell goods salvaged from the landfill to flea market dealers . It was a strictly cash business .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mjgonehunting

Mjgonehunting Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2014
    NY
    I work for a small company,that hauls only horse barn waste.
    We average 250-300 miles a day,and from 2-5 swap outs.
    We have late model Kenworth and Peterbuilt triaxles with plenty of power and cable type hoists.
    I just slid into a new Peterbuilt this week,500hp Cummins with 8speed.
    Put it in high gear and leave it there most of the time!
    The material consists of mostly pissy shavings and sawdust with some road apples for good measure.
    50k- 80k gross ( legal up to 74,800)

The hardest thing I have found is the climbing in and out when swapping boxes,and fighting with doors.

I carry a fiberglass claw hammer and a 24" tire bar with a point on one end and a flat slightly bent prying end. I can usually open or close most any doors with a little thought!
    We use an excavator for stuck and frozen loads now,but used to do a lot of hand digging when I first started doing it 11 years ago.
    we also have power tarps so no climbing to speak of,
    Over all a fairly easy job !

4. allniter

allniter Medium Load Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I 10 FL exit 70
    What are tweaked doors?

5. Mjgonehunting

Mar 24, 2014
    NY
    Doors that don't open properly due to bent hinges,twisted side walls,improperly working latches,ect

allniter Thanks this.
  6. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    It really all depends on what your hauling, we haul a lot of ash, sludge, dirty dirt etc with our roll off and there can be a good amount of shoveling, we have a bunch of trailers and straight trucks but the Pete straight truck I drive has a "dog" trailer that we pull behind it due to it having a 625 cat with an 18 since our new paccar powered KW have a hard enough time pulling one can

from what I've seen to you all most are never at your legal gross, I've driven 600 miles to go over a scale with 120 pounds of asbestos pipe, only to get back and the next day gross out at 97,000 with a bunch of rail road ties, (on a straight truck)

7. Mjgonehunting

Mar 24, 2014
    NY
    I haul barn waste,horse manure,shavings,straw mixed.
    it is light sometimes,but older stuff can definitely be heavy.
    weather has a lot to do with it too!
    my Pete triaxles has a 74k overweight permit,and I am over that quite often!
    It soaks water like a sponge!
    winter brings frozen loads that sometimes need to be picked out .
    material is quite corrosive too making door hinges that bind with rust and latches that don't want to open.

8. peteroll13

peteroll13 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2015
    I'm starting a job driving roll off's in southeast Pennsylvania in a couple weeks, any tips?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Line the wheels up with the rails and use the safety straps on the rear, No one likes to hear cans flopping around.

When pulling cans up, make sure the rails is higher then the cab, Cables do break and the best outcome, not embedded back of your skull.
    When pushing around boxes, Have a little common sense, Don't push on the flipping dang lock arm/L-bolt :biggrin_2559:

Most important, Unlatch the safety chain before releasing the arm before opening a door with a full load.... No one likes being that guy at the landfill bothering the operator

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. peteroll13

peteroll13 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2015
    what are lock arm/l-bolts? and what do you mean with your last paragraph?

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.