Rolling up car windows and almost got a DUI. Thank God!!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jun 19, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    no biggy, i just responded as if it was all on me...carry on.....!!!!!

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Back to the original post if that had been me.I would not have said none of your business. That's just stupid. If it happened the way the op said it sounds like the lady cop was being a bit of an ###..not the way I would of handled it as the officer either. Like I said earlier..I knew other officers that didn't have the best people skills..they are not all perfect. I give them all kudos for doing the job..someone has to do it. I got into it to help people..they ones that do it "cause they like guns" "want to impress "etc.are there for the wrong reasons.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I have gone out of my way to be considerate and respectful to cops and it has never bought me an ounce of good will on their part. I've also come right out of the gate with my attitude meter beyond peaked, and left without any tickets after the officer appologized. That stop was actually pretty funny...first words I said were "I ain't showing you ####!" after he asked for my license, registration, and insurance...then I proceeded to cuss him out up one side & down the other, making up some new words when I ran out of the old standards.

Canned Spam Thanks this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

In the states I've lived in putting keys in the ignition while intoxicated puts you in jeopardy. Don't sleep off the drunk with the engine running.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

It's almost like trying to start an argument with a cop doesn't always turn out like you hope. One group in this country trains so many of their kids that the cops are out to get you and every contact with a cop is a chance for you to prove you are king of the hill. Then they wonder why the cops treat them like criminals. A mystery for the ages.

7. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Yea right you cussed them out..sounds classy

spyder7723, buddyd157 and Dumdriver Thank this.
  8. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    Hopefully you’re not recommending anyone do anything stupid like that. I didn’t read as if you were, but hopefully no one reads that and thinks it’s a good idea.

spyder7723 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. tscottme

I've been nothing but helpful and respectful to cops for the last 30 years, including Ohio and California, and I've never gotten a ticket. No ticket for the burned out headlight, no ticket for the parking on the on-ramp, no ticket for the supposed air leak in the trailer suspension, no ticket for logbook not up to date, no ticket for following to close of a car that swerved in front of me and stomped the brakes approaching the cop, not for trailer doors being open while driving, not for anything the cop could have given me a ticket for if they were out to generate revenue. Maybe I should start arguing like Al Sharpton and use what I've learned from truck stop lawyers over the decades. I'm obviously doing it wrong. I'm far from perfect, but I don't treat the cops like meter-maids with guns. If you look and act like a sweaty ex-con with an attitude you might not get the same results

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I was in my old beater pickup truck, and he was off duty in his POV and had his kids in the car when he made a left out of the McDonalds across 3 lanes of traffic, nearly getting T-boned in the passenger side by me, and then fishtailed across into the 4th lane to keep me from simply going around him before the 2 lanes narrowed into 1, only to slow down to 5 mph below the posted limit through town up to the 4-way stop.

Apparently, he wasn't too happy with me riding a little closer to his bumper than I ordinarily would have, while straddling the yellow (there was a suicide lane, so no oncoming traffic), and pushing in the clutch and revving the engine a few times. Then, as the suicide lane was becoming a left turn lane, I saw his left turn signal come on...so I punched it and got there before he could move over, pulled up next to him, and gave him a real dirty look.

He held up a badge, identified himself as an off duty cop, and said he'd like to have a word with me over in that parking lot on the adjacent corner. When we pulled in, he got out and approached, asking for my license, insurance, and registration...and it was on. I hope his kids asked their mother what some of those choice words I had for him meant.

Anyway, he went to his car and got his radio to run my plates. I got on the phone with my neighbor's son, who was the chief of police at the time...figured if he was using his back channels to find out who I was, I'd do the same. I explained the situation and described the officer and his vehicle, and the chief said he wasn't one of HIS officers, but would try to figure out who it was. About that time, officer ####head approaches and asks if I am the name he got back when he ran the plates, and I answered affirmatively and told him who was looking into who HE was. He asked "Is that who you were on the phone with?" Then he made a call. His attitude changed entirely after that. Then the chief called me back. That officer was from the next town over...not even in his jurisdiction. Never did show my license or anything, and he appologized for HIS screw-up, all the while trying to get me to admit to any wrongdoing. I refused to give him the satisfaction...not after the way HE was driving.

I usually try to be professional...but this guy had it coming.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  11. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Yea polcing off duty is a no no.that will get you in trouble quick, especially over minor traffic stuff.its different if there is a robbery in progress etc. When your off its best to be just a good witness. I saw a few officers get fired for policing off duty..We had to warn new guys about that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.