Roof top ac vs apu

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Winner winner. I like your set up. Basically all an apu is, just packaged better with generator, battery charger, etc. Adding a trickle battery charger to your set up, Even if a bunk heater, and heated coolant pump was added, still less than half the price. And each component can be serviced/ changed when needed. APUs also wear out, it breaks down, you’re left scratching your head, with a big repair bill. Brand new Truck, Brand new APU, I can see that. Extra cost in monthly pymt, easily recouped. But for a retro fit. $13,000. Upfront? Not Me!!

PE_T Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Why not put a u shape bend at the top, pointing down.

4. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I considered something like that for my blow by tube. I worry though about having the opposite effect. Pressurizing the CCV. I ran it to the back of Truck, on a constant downward angle.Looks like brakes are smoking, not good, Lol, it once got plugged with ice. Had a Mini disaster with 6 gallons of oil seeping out of everywhere. Better design in progress.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That mini split system is by far the best bang for your buck.The ultimate for Me would be a diesel generator, plumbled into tanks, with remote start. Costs are high, though. Also thought about a battery pack, that would run 10 hrs. Weight and cost again defeats purpose. Total electrics aren’t new. Freightliner had one in early 2000. Driver had one in a Classic. Claimed it did the job. About the size of a mini fridge. Sat right behind Drivers seat. I guess it was thermoelectric? Also seen expensive aftermarket ones. “ nitesystem” comes to mind. Company in St Clair shores Mi. Made them for Trucks, boats etc.I appreciate all the good ideas, been trying to figure something out for 10 yrs. Lol

6. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Because when the air is still, I don't want it coming back down toward the cab. You can sometimes smell it even now if the wind blows just right.

I'm going to put in inverted megaphone on the end of the pipe to increase the velocity of the exhaust. When it's under a light load, the exhaust pressure is so little that it doesn't force it up and away from the truck as much as I'd like.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Sorta related, for you tinkerers. One could make his own apu with a junked snowblower and junked car AC system.

This is my junkyard power thingy. Self propelled snowblower chassis, 90amp nissan alternator with the field cut out and a york 210 AC pump converted to air compressor. Itll weld, jumpstart, battery charge, run big rig impact, run most AC power tools including my mag drill, and also is a handy light tower (not shown)

0526191435.jpg
    0422191633.jpg

0513190929.jpg
    0310191502.jpg
    0310191505-1.jpg

Wouldnt be hard to make your own unit to run air conditioning if u took everything out of a car. Alternators are 3phase alternating current that is rectified to lumpy 12vdc. Clip the bridge rectifier out and use one leg and youve got direct 110v shore power for electric heater or toaster etc without inverter expense, power conversion losses or battery drain.

lilillill Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.