Rookie driver turns down $1500 weekly guarantee

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CK73, Jul 25, 2018.

1. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    What was he thinking? His manager is pissed. They nearly stopped his truck from leaving the 3rd party distribution center. It was supposed to be an interview, not training, the befuddled driver replied. Its 1500 a week.. They nearly yell.. I am not deaf he says. So what its reefer.. And california.. And you are expected to max your hours out and do resets for hometime.. Its 1500 smackers a week. I will not work with this company.. He says. They push too hard.. They are bullies. If you truly care about safety. You should not force new drivers into such a demading role. The conversation was over at that point I hear.

Farmerbob1 and austinmike Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If that is 1500 after taxes sure. I'll take her into hell when it's due?

If that is 1500 before taxes forget it. I don't care for the word Minimum and I do not care for the idea that the 70 hour work week should be burned out in 5 days. I bet you the ranch the first time I burn that out in 5 days Dispatch will arrange me to be fired for not having hours available to take work.

I also have trouble with the word minimum. Call it a flat salary and be done with it. I will compare it to a 2500 mile run for the 70 and see what the equal is in CPM. Which comes out to 0.60 a mile in this job. Not quite enough. If they can salary 2K gross flat no matter what the truck does and does not do, I'll take on the work. Otherwise they can find someone else to abuse.

4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Few guys I know are happy earning less where they can take their time and not feel rushed. Thats what I avg and have to run hard for it, load trailer. Sweat, sunburns, freeways, falling loadlocks, pushing pallets uphill in trailer. Sounds like Braveheart in my trailer sometimes, lol. Blood stained hat from loadlocks falling.. In a cubby removing loadlocks and pallet gets pushed in while i am still back in there. Thats when I know it's over. FREEDOM!!!!

QuietStorm and tscottme Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Its always before deductions. They dont know what your deducts are going to end up being. You might have child support, garnishment, or just claim less or more dependents depending.

mpd240, De Trucker and CK73 Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    After taxes, on elogs? He had another reason for turning the job down. “Pushed too hard?” You can’t drive real hard on elogs.

Coover, QuietStorm and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  7. CK73

CK73 Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    The mystery to me is why they are always looking for new drivers and why they will only discuss the opportunity in person. With your truck in the compound ready to roll. New guys be weary rolling into 3rd party dist centers with your company onsite in their own offices. You are not in kansas anymore toto.

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Must be a new breed sissy

Coover, mpd240, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  9. line

line Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Until they have a bad week on that truck and come up with a reason that the guarantee is void . Driver failure is always the answer

Redtwin, CK73 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Was it also no touch freight? If so, wow he has very unrealistic expectations. P&D at most barns top out around 1500-1700ish and he would of been getting that right off the bat, ... .speechless

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    It's California. $1500/week is just a 'meh' paycheck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.