Rookie looking for first job wants tanker co. recommendations

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hamboner, Nov 22, 2012.

1. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Hey guys, I am finishing up school Dec. 21 and looking to start sending out applications. I have decided I want to go tanking or LTL, mainly for the quality of the companies and also the better pay. I realize with no experience I may be limited to who will give me a shot, but I wanna do my best to avoid any mega carrier shysters out there offering low pay and poor working conditions. I am located about 60 miles east of Memphis and attend a quality 7 week CDL program at the moment. I would really appreciate if you guys could steer me to a good company that would train me up and get me started on a good driving career. Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Research these threads for TANKER. Many of the ones that hire newbies are listed throughout these pages. Coming straight out of CDL school you're not going to make what the experienced tanker drivers make but you will start above what most other divisions make. As a general rule these days (and there are always exceptions to every rule), the bigger the company the more you should stay away from it.

4. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    stay with ltl, better pay and living conditions.

5. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    I just started with tanker hauling milk I love tanker but don't know if it shod be for new drivers

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalkh. U ss

shriner75 Thanks this.
  6. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    ??

I make pretty good money where I am at. Living conditions, well what can you say about that sleeping in a truck?! I do see the house a lot so that makes up for it :)

I think it depends on the maturity level. I am a newb and went straight into tankers. I know what you are saying though. You have to be extremely careful with those full bore tanks.

shriner75 Thanks this.
  7. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    If you have a Superior Carriers terminal near you check into them. They hire new drivers.

8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    This is a bad idea. You need to learn to drive first. Putting a new driver into a liquid tanker is putting him and everyone else in harms way. This is a real bad idea.

shriner75 Thanks this.
  9. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    I'm not gonna say you are wrong in that statement, but I am confident in my abilities and up to the task of hauling a tanker. I will have a freshly stamped CDL, but I have been around trucking my entire 33 years. No doubt there will be lots of learning still, but I feel like I have a better understanding than most ppl who walk in with a fresh CDL. My father has been an O/O for 45 years and over the years he had me involved quite a bit.

I have looked at LTL companies a lil bit today online and not many seem too interested in rookies. I would like to haul fuel, hazmat, anything... tanker for a decent company. Main thing is I want to build experience and set myself up for a good career paying well.

Also, if anyone has any info on Loves/Gemini in the Southeast give me a shout!

10. 074344

074344 Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Los Angeles, ca
    How do you figure that? I am a company tanker driver and I've made almost 82k so far this year. As for living conditions, I like starting at 0330 every day (or when I want to) and working Monday thru Friday and being home every day about 1530. Concerning working conditions, I hook up one 3" hose and an air line. Sit in the cab for 40 minutes until it unloads. 1 load a day and 352 miles of cruising down the freeway.

Hamboner, keep up the good work. There are still a lot of good companies to work for.

JCB & Associates Thanks this.
  11. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    I hope it works out for you I love tanker work

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalkh. U ss

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.