Rookie looking for first job wants tanker co. recommendations

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hamboner, Nov 22, 2012.

1. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    You mind sharing what company you work for and type of product you haul?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AirForce Vet

AirForce Vet Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Also a rookie and i want to be a tanker always r

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Talk to Schneider; they have tanker for newbies.
    Check with concrete companies & ask which tanker companies deliver their dry bulk cement powder to them.

Put some applications in online & maybe you will be accepted:
    Quality Distribution
    Superior Carriers
    TribeTransport

For LTL check Craigslist & Careerbuilder & Panther Expedite.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Pyles Transport - Nashville, TN - Dry bulk tanker - cement & fly ash.
    Highway Transport
    Schwerman - Nashville & Chattanooga
    Tankstar
    Pilot-Flying J

Many other tanker companies. You should have no trouble finding a good driving job with tankers.
    Ask around; there's a company that hauls deisel and fuels the train engines at the rail yard. One of those drivers told me they run him ragged, but he makes real good money.

6. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    DO NOT WORK FOR TANK STAR I was bent over hard

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalkh. U ss

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I do not care if your born and raised around trucks, you need the actual experience of driving a non moving load before you move into liquids. I have been driving long enough to accumulate over 3 million miles, and I can tell you from being experienced at powder, liquid tankers you need to learn and get experience with loads that do not move before moving into do not stop moving. fuel tankers do not surge as bad as a smooth bore, but they still have their own handling problems. By the way My grandfather and my Dad were both retired trucker, I was taught by my Dad how to drive, that does not replace experience, it certainly adds to it, but not replacing being there.

OldTruckerReturning Thanks this.
  8. zaptear

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    I 100% agree with you but it sounds like he has his mind made up and knows more then us

9. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    There are exceptions to every rule. Sometimes drivers going straight to tankers can be an advantage. They can actually be SAFER drivers. They haven't developed any bad habits yet and they don't come into driving a tanker with the familiar handling of a van or flatbed. They learn from jump the safest way to handle a dangerous truck and when and if they switch to van or flatbed they can be much safer drivers than those coming straight in with no previous experience as they were trained on a tanker with less room for error. Obviously this doesn't apply to all situations but it does apply to some.

Truckermania and hamboner Thank this.
  10. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    My mind is made up, but I am not here trying to outsmart a couple guys thats been driving a while. I simply stated that I had been raised around trucking, so you wouldn't think I'm coming out of left field with some wild idea about tanking. I'm very aware of the risk associated with tanks, but I am up for the challenge and thats what interests me the most, so I'm going in head first. I have read several threads where this topic of rookies vs. tankers have been debated and would like to keep this thread on topic much as possible. I appreciate the responses and concern though.

Gobbs Thanks this.
  11. zaptear

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    Good luck to ya

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.