Rookie looking for first job wants tanker co. recommendations

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hamboner, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Canada
    Many milk tankers are split into two compartments,two reasons, one to minimize surge, and two, to keep the weight on the drives with a partial load by loading the front first.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    My truck dose 70mph hauling milk but u do need to slow down and be careful

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalkh. U ss

4. zaptear

zaptear Medium Load Member

Nov 30, 2010
    vermont
    We have split and full

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalkh. U ss

5. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Yeah... thanks wysrob! You are one of the guys that inspired me a few years ago to want to get in a truck. It was your posts and experiences as a rookie that made me think that tanking could be a rewarding and in demand profession within trucking. You probably remember me sending you messages and inquiring about Superior. I have spent several years trying to decide if it was the right thing for me to do before I signed up for school and thus far I am really enjoying school and learning to drive.

I could care less how fast my truck goes and what it looks like as long as it DOT compliant and comfortable to drive/sleep in. I’m more worried about pay and the way the company treats me as an employee. I’m looking at things with the future in mind rather than impressing a bunch of other truckers going down the road!

wsyrob Thanks this.
  6. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    I have been instructed we are required to present pre-hire applications from 3 different companies prior to graduation from our prograrm. I plan to talk and apply with Superior, but have still yet to determine 2 others that accept students. Appreciate recommendations.

7. Seattle206

Seattle206 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2011

I know where this companies head office is. Borger TX I pass it a lot when were cementing wells up that way lol. Didn't know they paid that much for drivers hmmm... :p

8. mastllc

mastllc Medium Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    somewhere in ga
    hey newbiuserectus, i was wanting to know how you are liking working for schneider on the tank side, im on the van side myself and its ok but i think i would enjoy it more on the tanks side and the experience wouldnt hurt either.
    how well do they treat the driver and about how much can you expect to earn a week, and how is the training?
    thanks!

9. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I might have you beat. I hook up a 3" hose, turn on the customer's pump, and 20 minutes later, I'm empty. I drive 25 miles, hook up a 3" hose, hit a button and 12 minutes later, I'm loaded. I do 4 loads per shift and am finished with my work day in 10 hours. :mrgreen:

Anyway, not trying to show you up, but to help prove a point you made. LTL is NOT the be-all-to-end-all in trucking. It's one facet of the industry that can be either good or bad depending on the company, supervisors attitudes, customer base, and personal desires. Personally, I think I have a great job doing tank work. I'm home nights and weekends, don't have to put in a 14 hour day (unless production lines go down at the receiver), and make a decent living.

10. Joel Leland

Joel Leland Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Laurens, SC
    If you are set on tankers, go with Schneider Bulk which is what I did. First, let me give you a little of my back ground. I am new to trucking, not new to life. Twenty years in the Navy. Aviation. Safety is the first and last thing you learn in aviation. Everything else is gravy on the biscuit. Many more years after the Navy, more airplanes. So, safety is a BIG deal for me. Schneider is about safety first. They don't just say that, they live it.

When I hired on I had to do another full CDL physical with their contractor doctors. They were very picky about everything. The pre-hire drug screen was both a urine and a hair test. When I arrived @ Dallas for my training, there was testing to ensure I was able to perform the work of a tanker driver before we ever got into a truck. Including climbing up the ladder and walking the full length of the cat walk. Then we started driving. First with empty tanks and then with 3/4 full tanks. The first time that surge hits you, you will know how much you don't know! After we did the first 10 days in Dallas, we went to our home OC. For me that is Houston, TX. There we did a few days of "lab work" loading and unloading a tank. No driving, just working in the yard. After that we were assigned to a Training Engineer, TE for short. Most drivers go OTR with their TE for 2 to 3 weeks before they are tested and released to their own truck. This is NOT a team situation where you and the trainer drive a split shift. The TE is required to sit in the right seat while you are driving. So I was getting constant feed back to groom my skills. After that I was tested by another group of people for pumping and driving skills. Then I got my truck.

I have been very pleased with the training. Mind you, I am basically a grumpy old man who finds fault in just about everything and everyone. I found all, ALL, my trainers to be very patient, professional and skilled. I was NEVER yelled at or called names. When I was put in my own truck I had the confidence to do the right thing and to do the job correctly. I have been very happy with the whole process.

I am home from my first 2 weeks on the road. I love it. I have approached my training with this mindset. I don't know $h!t so please teach me. And teach me they did. If you would like to speak to a recruiter, PM me with your contact info and I will put you into the system or go to www.schneiderjobs.com. One thing you need to know. The 0.46 cents a mile they show for most of the tanker jobs, is TOP PAY for experienced drivers. You can expect something closer to 0.33 cents a mile if you are a n00b. There have been some issues but nothing to keep me from going back to work.

I hope this helps and good luck on your endeavors.

Justmom Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.