Rookie sni driver falls asleep at wheel..frankly lucky to be alive.

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by drvrtech77, Oct 7, 2018.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You should be thankful the government gives you a 10 hour uninterrupted break and limits your daily drivetime and weekly onduty and drivetime.
    Otherwise you’d be complaining about driving 20 hours a day on no sleep.
    The HOS aren’t perfect, but they could be a hell of a lot worse.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    My complaint is simply that the HOS rules are not nearly flexible enough for the nature of this business. When I started driving the first time, way back in the year 2000, the rules were quite a bit different. They've tightened things up and it's worse not better. I have a whole lot of ideas about making it less stringent while still not allowing drivers to be exploited but it seems they have their mind set on keeping it this way or tightening it up even further. The 30 minute break is a waste of time. At least they backed off the restricted 34 reset that was in place last year.

SingingWolf, mickimause and jsnell Thank this.
  4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Would have never gave a rookie a brand new truck.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Ya'll get warm and fuzzy at the opportunity of being a driver trainer. Big Bucks!!!

Badmon and shogun Thank this.
  6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Teams get new equipment. The fact he had a "passenger" further suggests that it was teams.

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Do they do sleep apnea testing at Schneider? The driver may have been suffering from sleep deprivation and maybe his circadian rhythm was still trying to adjust.

8. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Lots of Schneider Commercials today on XM radio during the ball game looking for new drivers as they claim to have industry leading pay. The main selling point of them "Most of our trucks are Automatic Transmissions".......

You can see where I'm going with this.....

shogun and mjd4277 Thank this.
  9. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    They still keep sending me stuff in the mail. I just put two of their fliers into the recycling bin at my house. 4 years after they denied me.

SingingWolf and mickimause Thank this.
  10. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    Amen! The clocks aren’t perfect but it stops the lunatics that go driving 3 days straight with no sleep. I understand some people can do this well but not everyone is built like that and should know their limits but instead they either willingly do it or are coerced by the company.

EDIT: I should say stop is a strong word I know a couple that abide by the HOS but still barely get any sleep.

SingingWolf and mickimause Thank this.
  11. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    They have sleep machines, lane departure alerts, on gaurd crash mitigation, Elogs, auto trans....enough gizmos to make a astronaut jealous and they still crash on perfectly straight roads. Nasa tried to train monkeys for the Apollo misisions and it didn't work for them either.
    Everyone has to learn somewhere, but you would think staying awake on your first day wouldn't be too much to ask.

mickimause, SingingWolf and mjd4277 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.