Rookies mistakes happen take your time and breath

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WrightTrucker33, Nov 27, 2020.

1. WrightTrucker33

WrightTrucker33 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    Yes I was pulling out to slide when it happened, I was in a hurry to dock the first time because it was a very active yard. I definitely could of handled things better but I guess it apart of learning the ropes. This was 2 years ago by the way.

tinytim and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Whatever the reason, there's simply no excuse, that driver would be out the door. He also couldn't have had his wheels chocked either, a major sin in my book. I carried a tire chock with me, just in case someone dragged the dock one out the drive. When I removed the chock, a quick glance to see if the dock plate was up. Not rocket science, common sense, really. Shows where THAT went, huh.

nredfor88 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I've been mulling over that one in my head for a bit trying to come up with an explanation for it beyond sheer stupidity, and it could be possible somebody told the driver he was done only to have someone else realize at the last second they left a pallet off.

lovesthedrive and 201 Thank this.
  5. BigpopperRunner

BigpopperRunner Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2019
    I had some pretty messed up stuff I did as well, let’s see, first week of training I turned into the yard like a regular car and hit the fence pretty hard, 2nd: I backed into a dock with two metal poles sticking out as guides and my trailer door got hooked onto the poles and tore it apart. 3: I clipped another trailer at the shipper, 4: backed into a garage dock where the facility put pallets on my blindside (they had no place to put it and decided it would be fine to put it there) anyways my trailer doors once again got hooked on the trailer doors and yep, pallets got stuck on the door and everything came tumbling down, ripped out parts of the trailer door lol. And just a FYI always check your fuel cap before driving, let me tell you it was interesting driving 10 miles back to the yard with the fuel cap loose haha. Next time don’t listen to anybody but the dock worker, most facilities that we deliver to, if there’s space I try to peek in the dock under or on the side of the trailer to make sure the dock doors are closed, even if the light is green. Learned my lesson a few times haha.

6. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    If theres gonna be a fatal incident in a warehouse, the dock's where it will happen. An 8000# forklift falling 4 feet is a lot of force.

If you're on a dock, and safety is being observed, the brakes should be set on both the tractor and trailer, the trailer should be chocked and a gladhand lock installed before anything happens. Even better, they put a dock lock on your DOT bumper.

After loading/unloading, the driver should walk back to the dock opening and make sure the forklift operator is out of your trailer, and that they know you're pulling off the dock, BEFORE that rig moves an inch.

That said, theres lazy dockworkers and lazy truckdrivers who won't do these things. If they won't, its still on you driver to not be lazy. and to be safe. That way, you both can go home to your family at the end of the day/trip.

201 and spindrift Thank this.
  7. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Not saying that I’ve done this but when you’re multi tasking while fueling make sure you hang up the passenger side hose. :)

AKDoug Thanks this.
  8. Isafarmboy

Isafarmboy Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Alberta
    Hehe I ain't sayin nothing. Confession needs a preacher.

9. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I've been bumping docks with vans for over three decades, but only in Alaska. None of the warehouses care where my axles are. Why do they want you to slide your tandems? I've never seen a glad hand lock either. Chocks are normal and a good thing. All my stuff is LTL and I'm actually on the docks with the warehouse crew making sure they load my trailer correctly and I usually put the dock plate down and close the warehouse roll up door myself.

The only close call I've ever had was after I closed the warehouse door and walked back to my truck, grabbing the chock along the way. I went to pull out and I felt a slight bump in the trailer. I got out to take a look and the warehouse guy had re-opened the door and threw on a forgotten pallet. If I hadn't felt it I'd likely have pulled away and dropped him on the ground. I really didn't want to throw the guy under the bus, but I went and talked to his supervisor. The warehouse guy is still there, so I didn't get him fired. He's a lot more careful now.

LoboSolo Thanks this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m not exactly how much of an issue it is, but apparently the problem is the trailers with excessive rear overhang and air suspensions. Trailer axles slid up means the end of the trailer could be too low for the dock to start with, and then the overhang could create a leverage effect to wind up raising the front off the ground on a dropped trailer.

With air suspensions, they sink under a load, and when the load is removed they’ll rise way above the starting height.

That’s the only theory I can come up with to justify this.

A forklift operator at one place I pick up from prefers loading my spring ride liftgate trailer.

nredfor88 and 201 Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Some docks I've been to, you HAD to slide the tandems back, it was just too steep of a dropoff.

MACK E-6 and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.