Rookies mistakes happen take your time and breath

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WrightTrucker33, Nov 27, 2020.

1. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I had a buddy drive off with fork lift driver and forklift in his trailer. They gave him the green light and off he went. Made it a couple hundred yards to where he was supposed to park to check his load. The dock workers we’re supposed to close the roll up door. Guy was pissed to say the least. However the screw up was the dock worker. He gave my buddy the green light. Said someone else flipped the light when they were talking to him while he was backing out.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’ve always thought something similar for air ride. Also there may be more wear on the air bags if the tandems are up front allowing the suspension greater travel as the forklift enters and exits. I’ve been to places that don’t care if you slide the tandem, but I always do regardless.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There's a place we go to that has the dock locks thatsit just a bit high, and you either have to hit it harder than I like, slide the axle clear back, or, if there's a reason not to slide, I drop the air on the tractor, just before, and it raises that bumper just enough to slide up the lock smoothly. Place is a shallow well setup.

The plant is straight level, we use chocks. Not as much reason for chocks with a well dropping down. If the wheels will turn, it will roll over a chock anyway.

We had a safety guy want us to use jackstands at the plant, but those are long gone. I got greased clothing every time I had to move one of those dirty things in the dark.

Pup trailers often have a leg to drop down when unhooked, I've never seen that on a tandem trailer.

nredfor88 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well not the drivers fault.

6. AKDoug

AKDoug Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Copy. My 48' Utility vans have swing down arms when I set the trailer brakes, physically locking the suspension at the correct height and not allowing the trailer to sink. It also doesn't rise when unloaded. I run with my tandems slid all the way forward and I haven't moved them in ages.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.