Rotator Cuff Injury from Fifth Wheel release

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ulenie, Dec 7, 2019.

1. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Didnt really hurt before. Its a very unsafe procedure for those of us with a shorter arm especially when the handle is tucked in. One has to stretch the arm out all the way, away from the body center and yank on it. There is no leverage when pulling on it and the majority of the force is absorbed by the shoulder muscles. Never heard of the happy unhooker but from googling it, its just a handle puller which I am purchasing today.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ulenie

ulenie Medium Load Member

May 24, 2018
    Houston, TX
    Hoping you get better man. That frozen shoulder just doesn't sound cool.

Concorde and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Be sure to rehab that injury. If you don’t strengthen what’s injured, it will return.

Luck in battle.

ulenie and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    What’s done is done, but you shouldn’t have to jerk on the handle to release your 5th wheel. Keep the jaws greased and when you’re dropping a trailer back up against the pin after setting the trailer brakes to take the pressure off the jaws.

starmac and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    It's not an unsafe procedure.

It's a lack of maintenance on the truck and your body.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The two primary injuries a trucker can have are shoulder and back problems. Most of the other things are caused by slipping and things like falling out of a truck. With my comment, I am not saying every time you get a hangnail to call the company. However, if you yank on something and have pain something has happened. If that pain continues you most likely have damaged something. Report this and get treated. Most rotator cuff surgery is done with a scope and the recovery period is not that long. You can continue to drive pre-surgery and most ortho docs will inject cortisone if you can handle it. I existed for almost 2 years getting those shots about every 4 months, so much in fact that my eGFR levels now show mild kidney damage. Do you have pain? report it!

FlaSwampRat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
    This is very common.Take time and heal proper.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I tore my rotator cuff in both shoulders before becoming a driver so my range and shoulder strength was already limited. The first thing I did was buy a puller handle and never had a problem. Plus you don't accidentally get grease on your arm reaching under the trailer when using the hook.

Met my cousin down in Texas last night for dinner and he wanted to see the inside of my truck and climbed up the passenger side. When getting down he fell hard and I felt really bad for him. Didn't hit his head on the ground, but he got banged up pretty good. These things are dangerous.

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve been having trouble for a while, with waking up with a locked shoulder. A few months back, tore it good, taking a dryer to the basement. Learned all about it. Serious stuff, my Cousin just had both rotated operated on, waiting too long can make the bone soft, causing a more serious operation. Luckily mine healed up, slowly over 6 weeks or more. The exercises shown to Me seemed rediculous, picked one, adapted to Truck, holding the wheel and pushing together, like you’re clamping onto it. Seems to help. Glad it healed up, very painful, could barely lift arm a little. I’m told it’s a 4 week recovery, from surgery, can’t afford that.You should report it, in case you need therapy or surgery, in the future.

11. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    You really gotta be careful pulling those fifth wheels. A buddy of mine was pulling his and he slipped on the ice and tore his shoulder up real bad. Went through workers comp and they did a surgery but they rushed the physical therapy and he tore it again. If you tear your shoulder after a surgery like that, they can't fix it. You're done. Now he can't drive, can't lift his arm above his shoulder, and has all kinds of nerve damage as a result. He's got a lawsuit against workers comp, but it takes a year just to get a court appointment.

A 5th wheel puller is in my opinion a must-have tool. Even if the 5th wheel mechanism is well-greased and properly serviced, it's still an awkward position to put your body into when you're bending over extending your arm like that. Especially when the ground is slick from ice or oil. You can also use a sturdy crow bar which is a useful tool to have in your toolbox for pulling nails out of trailer floors and other such things.

Alot of injuries like this can be avoided simply by maintaining a daily stretching/calisthenics routine. You don't need a gym out there on the road to keep your body in decent shape.

FlaSwampRat and stuckinthemud Thank this.
  12. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    yeah man, you gotta get or make your own puller. I made one out of 3/8" rebar, nice and long to not only trip the jaws but to be able to push or pull chains and straps underneath cribbed loads.

another unexpected injury I received was tennis elbow from repeatedly tightening and loosening ratchet boomers. elbow started hurting, never went to get it checked out until it was almost unbearable. doc says "you've got tennis elbow" I say "I've never played tennis in my life"...he laughed.

Ky Flash Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.