rough running, about to sputter out

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by stonefly4, Nov 10, 2019.

1. stonefly4

stonefly4 Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Series 60 12.7--sat for 5 years--fixed 'er up--back on road
    Changed fuel filters right away--had no power
    with new fuel filters--ran good

About 400 miles up the road, it started running poor. I changed the filters again, and it ran good. I'm on a load going to Jay, ME. About 20 miles from the receiver she starts running real bad again. It runs like clogged filter. I'm hoping that's all it is. But why? I've put about 200 gallons of new fuel in since I put the truck back on the road. Could the fuel that lay in the tank for 5 years be that bad? Condensation in the bottom of the tank?

Also, even when it is running good, I get zero turbo boost on the gauge. I checked the turbo. It's not seized. I don't think the engine would have been pulling like it was without turbo boost. I think maybe the gauge is stuck. A lot of things seized up in that five years.

There is a Freightliner dealer about 12 miles away in Auburn, ME. Today is Sunday. They're probably closed. I tried to call but there is no cell phone service in this part of the USA. My delivery appointment is not until 2:00 PM tomorrow, Monday. I'm parked in a safe place for now. (thankfully) So far, I don't need a tow or a road service call.

Is it workable to dump bad fuel out of a clogged filter, add good fuel, and be able to run for a while on it?

I better stay put and wait til tomorrow. Maybe Freightliner can run a couple filters to me. (and a couple extra)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Waste of time. The filter is plugged. Dumping fuel out and refilling it will do zip.

Look in your tanks with flashlight. Any algae or debris that you can see?

4. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Most likely algae in the tanks, if replacing the fuel filter fixes your problem again.
    You have to put some anti algae additives like Power Service Bio Kleen in the tanks and get a bunch of spare fuel filters with you. Also get additive to remove the water from your tanks, that's where those things live.

5. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    Thanks for the replies.

I should have realized that the inside of those tanks would be a mess after 5 years of sitting.

Oxbow, Rideandrepair and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    I can't see inside the tank. It has those anti-siphon baffles.

Oxbow and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    Under the bunk is stuff that had been stashed for years, even years before the breakdown 5 years ago. I rummaged through the stuff. At the bottom of the stuff was a 5206 and a 5207. Yup. A primary and secondary fuel filter.

We'll soon find out if very old fuel filters will do the job.

Oxbow, Rideandrepair and rachi Thank this.
  8. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Unless I missed it, what year is this truck?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Old filters will do the job. If you get going make sure you get to a place you can buy mor filters as this will keep happening

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Pull the fuel tanks, have them steam cleaned and dried. Or, you could replace filters over and over and most likely set of injectors.

11. stonefly4

Oct 4, 2018
    Definitely. After I drop this load, I'm going straight to Freightliner and get more filters.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.