Route- 550 north Durango to Telluride.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by xiipercent, Apr 2, 2008.

1. xiipercent

xiipercent Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Delivering this am up in great country, durango ski resort... SLC next...

any advice on taking RED MTN PASS ... will be real light, 7k... or is it better to turn around and take 160 ?

:biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xiipercent

Mar 19, 2007

-oooops -disregard, just checked the staa map.... 550 restricted hermosa to ouray..bummaa:biggrin_25510:

4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Thats what I was going to say, I don't think 550 is truck route.

Ouray cops are real wicks!!!! I had one give me a ticket once for 15 over in the city limits. I had been behind the same little pickup for 20 miles. When I asked the cop how fast the pickup was going he stated he was doing the speed limit, but I was doing 15 over. When I asked him how it was that I could go 15 over with out running over the pickup I had been following for 20 miles he stated he didn't know the answer to that, but by gawd I was doing 15 over and "I'm gonna write you a ticket"

Freakin idiot.

5. xiipercent

Mar 19, 2007
    it sure is gorgeuos up here... if anybody has a CO Dot tarp i can thro over my box, i'd sure 'preciate it . luv to continue north.

ps(trainee drivin) 4th...5th....4th....3rd...2..nd...low...restart.....1,2,3,4:biggrin_25520:

6. MtnMadness

MtnMadness Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I drive that route quite often. Durango to Ouray, the best route over the "big three,", which is Molas, Coal Bank, and Red Mountain passes. The road is a bit rough in places, but this time of year, clear of snow most of the time. Red Mtn. is the most intimidating to people who aren't used to mountain roads, with 15 m.p.h corners, and lots of hill to climb and descend. Molas and Coal Bank are faster, but still have to be cautious going downhill. Many brakes have been burned on this stretch of road.
    Take a left at Ridgeway, this'll take you over Dallas Divide, which will seem like a speed bump to ya after coming over the big three. Left on 145 will take you to Telluride. If ya see a white KW transfer, that's likely to be me! Gimme a shout, I'll tell ya where the best coffee is.
    Good piece of advice for the mountains: Brakes are for sitting still, not going downhill.

Be safe!

7. MtnMadness

MtnMadness Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Or....Durango to Telluride....go over Lizard Head Pass on 145. Not as much fun as going on 550, but will be shorter, quicker. Still gorgeous scenery.
    By the way.... the 4 wheel drivers in the Telluride will drive ya nuts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.