RS not required for traffic stop to conduct DOT inspection?

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by RockinChair, May 5, 2017.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Its their job that's how they can legally pull you over.I've been pulled over for just that reason in TX and TN. You're more subject to get pulled over or get inspected at a weigh station if your company has a bad safety rating.Just because you're not doing anything wrong doesn't mean DOT don't have a reason to stop you.TX has state troopers that do nothing but pull trucks over at random.I have been stopped an inspected for no reason but its their job in TX all the times were late at night.So you better get use to it and keep in mind if your company has a bad safety rating that gives the DOT even more reason to pick on you.

NavigatorWife and misterG Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That's the core issue here.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    What exactly do you meam.?You don't think Dot has any right to inspect you for no reason just because you drive truck?

misterG Thanks this.
  5. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    This is about getting pulled over.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I know it is and I gave you reasons why.If your company has a bad safety score all the drivers for that company is subject to getting pulled over.Could be something as simple as having a dirty license plate and the numbers aren't visible.I've got pulled over many times just to check my logs because that company had a safety score of 100% the dot told me that.Bullhaulers are always getting pulled over same with construction vehicles.Its one of a million things drivers have to deal with if they wanna drive truck.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You also have to keep in mind some cops and states hate trucks period so they get stopped just for that reason.

NavigatorWife and misterG Thank this.
  8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Rockin Chair.
    Your avatar is the sole reason I was pulled over last January. I had two different but not exclusive placards on my trailer.
    The officer followed me for about 5 miles. And when I changed lanes and made a turn onto a side road. He stopped me.
    His sole reason, as he stated it to me, was a random roadside safety inspection.
    BECAUSE THEY CAN, is the sole answer to all your questions in this thread. They DON'T NEED RS to pull us over.

I watched a non-CDL licensed driver get taken out of his van, by MN state Troopers. Because he didn't have the proper licensing for the vehicle he was driving. And he wasn't even driving at the time. They were making a compliance sweep of Downtown Minneapolis commercial vehicles. And his number was up. I was two trucks back from him. I had what I needed and it was an easy peasy chat with the Trooper.

NavigatorWife and pattyj Thank this.
  9. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If they did need RS, I wouldn't have created a thread asking why not - as in, a citation of the court opinion or clause in statutory law that created the 4th Amendment carve-out that denies us 4th Amendment protection.

10. JustAGuestHere

JustAGuestHere Bobtail Member

May 12, 2017
    State v. A-1 Disposal (1987) has some good info.

11. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    Born and raised in Texas and am darn proud of it. I believe our DPS officers,(state troopers), are the most professional, courteous and respectful of all the various hwy patrols I've dealt with. I am otr and have dealt with many, especially out west. I respect their authority and am treated with a likewise respect. They have a job to do and do so very professionally. As a commercial driver in a commercial vehicle, you are subject to all dot officers. Yes, they can pull you over for inspection regardless what you think about it. That's what you signed up for. Dot officers all over the country have this right. I wonder if you would question a police officer's right to respond to your home if you or a loved one was in great danger. These officers put themselves in grave danger every they go to work! I'm just saying is all.

NavigatorWife, misterG and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.