Ruined overhaul??

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Westsidetruckservice, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Westsidetruckservice

Westsidetruckservice Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    So i have a 5EK 3406E and just did a inframe in it and put in a new head. So my mechanic, who is a good friend and i know he knows what he's doing did all the work. He installed new liners and pistons, plus the New cylinder head. The truck is running great, awesome power, But it consumes a lot of oil. I mean 2 gal a week. I went back to him and he took the manifold off only to find that 5 of the 6 pistons had oil. He removed the pistons and inspected the rings and they were all installed correctly. What could have cause this problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Did you use cat parts our jobber stuff?

Did you idle it a lot or not work it hard after inframe. I'm firm believer that the engine has to be ran hard under load after rebuild or you'll have a oil burner.
    The first 10,000 miles are crucial to the way the engine will consume oil

4. Westsidetruckservice

Jan 20, 2011
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    Got a kit online, IPD brand. Ill have to redo with original parts and run the truck harder. Thank you for the help.

Dave_in_AZ and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Even with genuine CAT stuff I have seen them slobber like a stuffed pig after rebuild. I'm talking oil running out of the flex pipe bad. Max it out and load it down for a good while will seat everything in short order. Need some cylinder pressure.

Dave_in_AZ, spyder7723, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I had a 4mg 425 B model once. Had it rebuilt using IPD parts. Used about same amount oil as yours. Was rebuilt 2 more times under warranty and still used oil. After we rebuilt it a third time I paid extra for all cat parts and it was fine after that.

But then you hear people that have 0 issues with jobber parts so who knows.

I know one thing , I'll never use anything but genuine OEM for now on.

You do have to work the snot out of them when fresh for sure. Helps seat the rings

Dave_in_AZ, SAR, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Westsidetruckservice

Jan 20, 2011
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    Great thank you guys for the quick help

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    We have done two rebuilds using ADF after market parts and both times the engines smoked and used major oil. ADF would not warranty any further work and said it just needs more time to break in. This went on for months! But, after about a year, it did actually finish breaking in and oil consumption went down.

Dave_in_AZ, SAR, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. BryE

BryE Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    On the old Cat heavy equipment, the fix for this was to carefully feed Bon Ami cleanser into the intake as it is running at an idle. About a tablespoon. Then run it full throttle for a minute. This seated the rings to the cylinders.
    This was the actual service manual instructions if you had one that slobbered oil or had high consumption. For a new or rebuilt, not one that is worn out.
    I would try that before I would tear it down again.

10. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA

what part number ring set were you supplied with IPD?

it will be an "RS" number

Westsidetruckservice Thanks this.
  11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Load it up and work it, it seems the opposite of what it should be but that's what they say to do. I know a guy who did his own inflame and nobody told him to work it good to break it in and it's always used a gallon of oil every oil change since.

Oxbow and Westsidetruckservice Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.