Running 99% legal

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by truckerdave1970, Oct 12, 2009.

1. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I know a being little illegal is like being a little pregnant! But I just cant afford to run by the book anymore, I almost went broke trying. (pls visit my other thread "My experiences running 100% legal, if anyone cares" for all the background info.)
    So here are the rules for this new game: log it as it happens, all tolls, fuel, any receipts must match logbook. Qualcomm GPS data must also match paper logs 100%. There can not be a mileage discrpenacy greater than 45 miles or 45 mins at any time.
    Without defeating or bypassing the qualcomm and turning in all receipts for reimbursement, how do I turn as many miles as possible given these rules?
    Here is what I am doing now:
    1. Keep the left door shut. No sightseeing or unneeded stops. (sleep, eat, shower at the same place, no more stopping for yard sales or flea markets for example)
    2. Run as fast as the truck possibly can. (64 mph)
    3. Log almost no time on line 4. (15 min pretrip, 30 min drop/hook, show arriving at cust. log 15 min, go to sleeper berth, log 15 mins when leaving cust. no matter what really happens)
    4. Maybe I will be able to shave 30-45 mins a day off of actual driving time each day.
    This is where I need your input. What else can I do to conserve driving time and turn more miles???

Bengal Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckPreacher

TruckPreacher Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Inglewood, Ca
    Do not forget to show fueling on line #4, and that the time is correct!
    Do not show all the time standing on the dock, just that you backed in 15 min.
    And the rest that you have said should help you and keep you with in Legal means!
    As always KEEP IT SAFE!!!

4. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    Dave doing as you have suggested is about as good as it's gonna get. You won't gain alot of extra drive time daily but you won't run out of hours each week near as easily so if the loads are available you will in essence gain those "extra" hours logged in the sleeper instead of on-duty not driving. Split sleeper log as much as you can to maximize this. This won't be a perfect solution however it may allow you to run 1-2 more loads a week if the loads are available which will be better than it has been for you. Good Luck man hope you can survive long enough to find that unicorn. Keep us posted.

5. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I'll say I do run about 95% legal. And the 5% is pretty much a 15 minute discrepency here and there. But that is because I run my book to it's 11 or 14 and I gots to get to the truck stop.

Here are the rules I have:
    1. Run that book to its maximum every day. (I am out 5 days, so I have the 34 hr restart as a tool). I average 13.25-14 every day.
    2. I log it as I do it. Everything. Line 4 included. Yeah, there are those days were I have 3.25-3.5 on 4. But those are far and few between.
    3. I don't stop unless I have to.
    4. I try to fuel at the start of my day, combining pretrip and fuel on line 4.
    5. and my favorite: I start driving 8 minutes past the quarterhour. (0:08, 0:23, 0:38, 0:52) and I drive until the 7 past. I have legally driven 25 miles with 0.25 on the drive line. If you think about it, a legal 11 hour drive time is really 11:25. With an average of stopping the truck 4 or 5 times a day, you can get an extra hour. But you have to be careful with that trick, if you do it too many times in one day, you can accidentally bump up your average speed.
    6. If possible, know where your next load picks up before you are empty. That way you don't have to wait for dispatch to find you something or for them to send it to you.
    7. A seldom used rule there is, if you have a mechanical breakdown, you are allowed to extend past 14 hours by up two hours, provided that you were able to legally make the run prior the breakdown. But you have to make sure you have the mechanic sign the inspection page.

6. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville

What time? There ain't no time stamped on my fuel tickets... So I log it when ever I choose! But I also pay for my own fuel & don't have a snot nosed kid trying to look over my shoulder & mico-manage everything I do!

7. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    there is no time stamped on any fuel ticket I've ever had. but if you have a wreck and they (DOT) conduct their investigation, you better believe they'll find out what time you fueled.

jtrnr1951 and halfburn Thank this.
  8. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    All of that works fine with loose leaf aka three ring binder type of Log Book....
    What are you going to do when EOBR's are REQUIRED for every swinging D*ck driving on the road with a rig?

9. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    There may not be a time stamp on your receipt but if you paid with a credit card, all some parasite, I meant to type lawyer, has to do is pull your credit card records and you are nailed! (in case of an accident) Today's lawyers are not stupid, they know exactly what tricks we use to hide time and exactly what questions to ask and who to ask to uncover the truth! The same applies to the DOT, if you are trying to hide anything, they WILL find it, given enough time and incentive. We are on the short end of the stick in this relationship.

Most of us will never experience the intense level of scrutiny that the power of our legal system can employ against lawbreakers, and you dont want them looking at your business either! Because, if we are being honest here, they will find that we did something to cause or should have done something that would have prevented the accident! I dont like it either, but it is true.

Bengal Thanks this.
  10. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Do you use a cell phone?

GPS tracking on your phone.....

Do you use a GPS to guide you to your Pick-ups and drops?.....

All a Bear has to do is check your GPS for hours and speed........

Welcome to Oceania...and all of us are named "Winston Smith"......

11. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    GPS?

Not this driver...I can find it better than some plastic P.O.S.!

On certain models of cell phones you can disable the tracking. Mine is disabled. They warn you that 911 won't know your location if you call them as a detrrent to disabling the tracking...I consider that a BIG PLUS!

I pay cash for fuel...

I pretty much always run legal but I don't think it's any of their business where I am at any given moment.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.