Running dual inverters, with one dedicated to the freezer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GYPSY65, Dec 1, 2021.

1. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    No, they are regular, just like marine ones, but I've seeing AGM at some dealerships as well, did not even bother to consider them, as duals work for me just fine. AGMs will just go deeper without much damage, but I don't run duals empty anyways.

Rideandrepair and 86scotty Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    There are a couple of folks saying they've gotten several years out of AGM's and still going strong. I'm going to try them next, best deal I can get on them. So far, that's the East Penn/Duracells at $250 each. I'm done with standard SLA's on a truck though. Dealer was getting better batteries in the past, current ones are junk at 6 months.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. scoobertdoo

scoobertdoo Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2020
    Ditch the napa inverter and get a xantrex 3000w inverter/charger. Place a 200ah marine sealed AGM battery under the bunk. Run thru an isolator. You can beat on an AGM battery pretty hard without damage.

You do this, and you will not need to be worried about electrical again.

GYPSY65 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    My advice is above, stick with 97 dollar fla for the start bank, add a 200ah sealed AGM under the bunk on an isolator. AGM don't like cold weather.

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Roadpro Powerdrives. I bought 3 of them at a Pilot in Dothan about 10 yrs ago. A small 300w, I used to charge a laptop. It still works. The others were the 1000, and 1500. The 1000 worked for about a month, the 1500 a couple weeks. They were old display models. I paid around $70 for all 3. They’d been sitting in the Truck for 10 yrs. I bought another 1500 off EBay, for $130. It lasted a couple weeks. The 2000 I got new at Pilot for $240. It’s been working well. Eventually I’ll replace the bad 1500w. The only thing I didn’t do is hook up the extra small ground from Inverter chassis to frame. I’m wondering if it matters. Some have one, some Dont.

86scotty Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I was thinking of adding 2 Deep cycle marine type batteries in my other side box. They would be attached to my 3 starting batteries for charging. Than run inverters from the deep cell. Still they’d all be hooked together, charming and draining together. Maybe an isolated starter battery is better. Freightliner had that option in the 90s. If the fridge ran the batteries down on off time, Truck would still start. All automatic, no shut off switch.

8. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    For outside use 6 volt fla. They last longest.

9. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    That's 125lbs I don't want to add and I don't have the space either. A 4d (200ah) AGM is right at 125 lbs. Lots of lead. I've used those in campers before.

I used to think the same about AGM not liking the cold but most new cars have them nowadays and some truck manufacturers are putting them in new trucks too. New Volvos have em, at least a couple on dealer lots I looked at back a few months ago when there were trucks on lots. My new personal has AGM too as well as the last one I had.

10. scoobertdoo

Nov 11, 2020
    Yeah, cars are not 13 liter diesels. My motorcycle had one too. Doesn't mean you can deep cycle them when cold. Saw someone here say that their semi AGM lasted 4 years. Inside the cab they would last 8.

86scotty and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    I don't understand the phrases "deep cycle" and "cold'? Do they go together? I personally don't shut the engine below 32F on the trip even having Webasto, so there is no anything deep, how cold is cold?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.