Running short loads

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Dino soar, Jun 19, 2019.

1. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I am sure we have passed each other at some point. I get down to the Chester area fairly regularly. I'm assuming you are a bit south of that.

PPDCT and TROOPER to TRUCKER Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I’m about 30 east when I was a Trooper Chester was our Troop HQ.

PPDCT and zmster2033 Thank this.
  4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    At least here in the west the biggest problem with short loads is that they almost always want the pick up one day and the delivery the next day. I rarely see both on the same say, and killing 2 days for a few hundred bucks just isn't worth it to me.

I ran a 230 mile load yesterday that I figured I could get done and home on one day for $1,400. Picked up at 2:30 AM and delivered at 10:30 AM. Everything was going great until I hit road construction that held me up almost 4 hours on the way home. I wound up going off duty PC for 2 hours to get home. This is why I prefer doing OTR.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    The trick with shortloads is plants churning out low value heavy stuff that doesnt need tarped and that goes to large customer daily. Brick block lumber shingles etc. Dont expect $3/mi.

6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I can find short runs near me all day paying great (to me), 1-200 miles for $5-600. Problem is insurance and other costs don’t go down, just maybe fuel.

Lining up 2 of those a day is really tight with unknown dock times and I can’t live on $2500 gross per week.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Doing two loads per day can be great but the hard part is being able to pickup, drop off, pickup, and drop off all in the same day. If it bleeds into the next day then your late getting to the pickup and impossible to fit it all in that next day. By the end of the week it’s hurt your revenue. Still probably can do fairly well though on low miles.

8. Moonshadow1918

Moonshadow1918 Light Load Member

May 13, 2018
    Short runs are easier to negotiate . Keeps the fuel to revenue equation in your favor seeings how fuel is your only major controllable expense. I usually find a cpl loads under 200 mi paying 900 1000 every week. My Revs at end of the week are very low but my check is decent. I take it all day

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Thank you for the replies. I'm really trying to study this because these types of runs 100 to 200 miles if it's possible that's really what I would like to do.

I think it's a good area that I'm in for short hauls. 100 miles of here takes me up past Scranton to Carbondale, past Carlisle, down to Glen Burnie past Baltimore, Annapolis Seaford all of Jersey through Hempstead New York and up to Middletown New York.

200 miles of here takes me out past Johnstown down near Richmond Virginia up to Norwich Connecticut and just about to Syracuse.

It's got to be tricky because you're doing more loads per week which are more calls and more work and more negotiating. So the way I see it you have to get your price. A Hundred mile load by my figuring will take you under good circumstances at least 7 hours or so depending how far your deadhead is. That's really a full day's pay. If you are lucky, depending on your pickup and delivery times maybe you could pick up another load on your way home if you could cross home on your way to the next stop to deliver the next morning. Or maybe you could figure the dead head into your rate and pick up maybe in Harrisburg or Carlisle and bring that load back to Philly where I'm close to home.

Or you could work a triangle and stay out for one or two nights working a hundred fifty to two hundred miles or ??? if the money was right. Or maybe you could find a broker that could string together 40 or 50 mile runs or something like that. Or maybe it will end up being a mixture of longer and shorter loads. I don't mind staying out overnight but I really don't want to be say 500 miles from home if I can help it. When I lived in California I used to run from LA up to San Francisco and even up to Washington all the time. That was an experience but here now with my own truck I really don't want to go that far.

I'll be glad to hear whatever you guys think about that. And also I'm curious in that kind of a radius if there are areas that are better for Freight coming in than going out and vice versa?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    With a 53 van you're going to get lots of "we always cover this for $500" on 100 mile runs and "we always cover this for $600" on 200 mile runs. And they're not lying. I used to think ELD's would change that but it never did. If the loads are truly easy on and off that's what they'll move for. And the're going to expect you to sleep overnight on them too for that same money when they arent ez on and off which makes them really suck. I ran a bunch of them years ago but hardly ever touch them anymore. Too much headache.

With ELD's the hardest loads to cover are the 500-800 mile range because these are now 2 day transit loads. And even they seldom pay enough to cover the time lost. ELD's really cheapened this industry worse than it already was. It really comes down to all in what you want to put the effort into. 200 miles or less, 400 or less or 500 or longer? I did a bunch of $500 short hops 100 miles years ago but rarely book anything like that anymore. Just a waste of time. #### happens and your clock is ticking. $1,000 or more makes them better but they rarely have to pay that much. It is what it is.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    86scotty and Dino soar Thank this.
  11. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    I pay $3 a mile when harvesting crops and supply the trailer and they get 2 loads a day out of the bin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.