Running under own authority while being leased to a carrier

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by CHenk, Oct 26, 2020.

1. CHenk

CHenk Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I am a leased O/O as well as a farmer. I bought my truck and got my own plates so I would be able to use my truck for hauling my own commodities as well as being for hire locally. As of late, my leased carrier has been doing a terrible job of finding me work, which was fine with fall harvest going on, but with winter looming I am exploring my options. I am possibly interested in going outside the ag exemption range which would require me to have an elog. Is it possible (or legal) for me to have two elog devices for two different operating authorities in a single truck? I am wanting to stay leased because I don't want to be fully committed to running under my own authority until I find some stable success. I would really like to be able to go back and forth between the two authorities but I know that could be more work then what it's worth.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The log is for you the driver, not the truck for each authority. The other company would need your log in information to have access to your logs.

bad-luck, CHenk and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. CHenk

CHenk Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2019
    So currently the elog device I have installed is the lease carriers device. So you are saying I should get my own device and give my lease carrier access to it. Correct?

5. larry2903

larry2903 Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2009
    On the trails
    I’m not sure what you want to do is legal?

6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I knew somebody years ago that had about three or four trucks.

I think he had his own authority but he had the trucks leased on with someone and the deal was if that company did not keep them busy enough, he would go find his own work.

He got a better rate because he had multiple trucks.

In your situation I would think it would just be better to run your own authority. You still are going to have to pay your insurance and to keep up with filings and whatnot to keep your Authority active.

User666 and CHenk Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    As far as I know, It is not allowed to have the same truck to be leased on to different carriers at the same time : yourself and other companies. I am not 100% certain if that is FMCSA thing but for sure the insurance won't allow it.
    Some people may do it. They use those magnetic decals to change the carrier name at will but in case of a claim there could be a big problem once the insurance finds out that there is another insurance active on the same truck.
    @Ridgeline should offer better expertise on it.

CHenk Thanks this.
  8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    One ELD device only no matter how many carriers you drive for. All time must be accounted for continuously across all motor carriers you work for including yourself. If you are going to lease to more than one carrier at a time then yes you should have your own ELD and allow each carrier to have access to the records.

As for leasing to multiple carriers at the same time, yes that is legal. You would have to have a method of displaying only the carrier you are actively hauling for at the time, paperwork for each carrier and submit your ELD/logbook data to all carriers simultaneously. For insurance, your bobtail (non-trucking liability) would need to be informed of each carrier you lease onto and approve it, and each carrier would need to know about the others and approve it. Since their insurance is mandated to cover you while hauling under their DOT number having the legally required coverage under dispatch (you are on your own between dispatches). Now since some carriers chargeback for their insurance you may find it not profitable to lease onto multiple carriers at once.

Ultimately it is very complicated to haul for more than one carrier at a time. It may be better to find a single carrier that can keep you busy year round rather than trying to fill in the gaps.

CHenk Thanks this.
  9. CHenk

CHenk Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Thanks guys for the comments.

@Dino soar that's exactly what I am looking to do. If my lease carrier doesn't have work, I can find my own. You are absolutely right as well with the insurance. I'm pretty much paying double to run under both authorities. I am just nervous to run just under my own authority and going over the road, but I am sure if I fully commit to it I can be successful. I have heard of guys do this plenty with paper logs but the ELDs just muddies the water.

@TallJoe As far as I know, it is a lot of the carriers themselves that won't let you lease on to another company. Since I run my own plates, I can be leased on and if that company allows I can run under my own authority. If I were to have both mine and the leased companies DOT number displayed when I got into an accident that's when insurance becomes a problem. Doesn't matter what authority the load was running under, both authorities can be held liable since they were both displayed which is why you see the decal coverings.

10. CHenk

CHenk Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I appreciate the input @brian991219!

I am not necessarily looking for this situation to be long term. I figured if I could slowly work into my own authority while being leased, it wouldn't be as big of a leap of faith. Long term I would really like to just run under my own authority. I'm thinking though it would be easier to just run under my authority instead of trying to do both. OTR hopper bottom work is still relatively new to me which is why I am hesitant.

Again thank you all for the comments. You've all been super helpful.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I can't imagine any scenario where you could lease on to another carrier and also have your own authority to run under at the same time whenever you wanted. Sounds like a complete insurance mess. No legitimate company you'd lease to would be OK with that.

Here's the deal. If you're not comfortable getting your own authority just lease on sonewhere for a while and if you think you want your own authority later on down the road terminate that lease and get your own authority.

Contrary to lots BS posted on here an authority doesn't need to be old or aged. It's not going to benefit you in any way. Do one or the other not both.

12. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Only one I know of is JB Hunt. Your authority, insurance, plates, etc. But you run their freight in their trailers under a lease, but you're able to run any other freight under your authority at any time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.