Running under own authority while being leased to a carrier

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by CHenk, Oct 26, 2020.

  1. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

    HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

    Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Only one I know of is JB Hunt. Your authority, insurance, plates, etc. But you run their freight in their trailers under a lease, but you're able to run any other freight under your authority at any time.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. rollin coal

    rollin coal Road Train Member

    Mar 29, 2008
    So in the event of an accident under a load, or any freight claim who's insurance is responsible for what? I'm sure JB Hunt has covered their bases but can't believe in any way possible someone is leased to them and also operating independent authority at the same time. Really curious what that contract looks like.
  4. kwswan

    kwswan Road Train Member

    Jul 26, 2009
    I have a friend who pulled for JB a few years ago. Your truck numbers, and authority. They broker the freight and you pull their trailer. No leaseing.
    rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

    Ridgeline Road Train Member

    Dec 18, 2011
    The only thing I can add to is there is no regulation about the number of eld units you have installed and active.

    if you have one from one company and another unit from a second company, they have to be in sync.

    This means that you have to keep concurring logs.
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. GreenPete359

    GreenPete359 Road Train Member

    Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Just to put this to bed, yes you can hold your own dot/mc #’s and still lease to another or even multiple other carriers.

    As has been said, you can only display one set of dot numbers on your truck at a time.

    it’s more common than some here may think. One reason is to run under someone else’s permits, permits that you don’t hold. I’ve done it myself, you just have to supply them your logs at the end of the day/week.

    @CHenk you’ll have to come to an agreement with logs with the company you lease to.

    they may want their elog in your truck. If so, just make sure their elog is set up with the ag exemption.
    brian991219 Thanks this.
  7. TallJoe

    TallJoe Road Train Member

    Apr 12, 2016
    JB Hunt in Power Only program still acts as a broker. Your authority and your insurance. Their trailers are insured by trailer interchange addendum that you buy through your insurance or you sign a waiver each time you take their trailer which costs you some money...I forgot how much exactly ... maybe $15-30 per pull or day and they provide physical damage but the cargo and liability is on you.
    There is no lease can leave after day 1 if you wish and find freight somewhere else. They may request that if you come to their Power Only you stay there for 5-7 days at least but it is up to you. I imagine that the only thing they may forbid you to do is to load your own freight on their trailer.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    brian991219 and rollin coal Thank this.
  8. User666

    User666 Medium Load Member

    Sep 22, 2020
    Northeast Ohio
    As mentioned previously, get your authority and do it all yourself if you can't find a decent carrier to lease on with. See if your current carrier will broker some of their freight to you after you're active. If not, find your own work. Just make sure you can be insured (and can afford it) before making any moves.
    Michael H Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted