Running with JCT, Part Deux

Discussion in 'John Christner' started by drloveofdfw, Feb 13, 2014.

1. kanidana

kanidana Heavy Load Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Mesa, AZ
    I know that the complications of being aware that you have to be aware of every expense aren't always obvious...I want to thank you for stating things involving the less than obvious....for example "enthusiastic unloader". That screams volumes in two words. Leaf blower as a valuable tool...I've heard this advice more than once, and it sounds like "sound advice". Lastly, the fact that "per mile" actually is a fixed thing and that one has to be aware of this fact, could be a valuable wake up call for those interested in owning their own future in a place that "allows" the freedom to do "just that". I love the sound of the challenge..hopefully I can step forward and meet said challenge without a nervous breakdown. If I fail, I won't blame it on the company, that's for sure. Up to now, my failures have been my own and I'm sure they will continue to be...if I continue to fail. I'm a pessimistic optimist.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    Not sure what happened yesterday. I was ready to get back on the road, but couldn't get a load for some reason. Not sure why. But, it is all good now. Got me a load from Center, Tx over to Colton, CA. One of my normal come out of hometime loads.

4. PokerRunn

PokerRunn Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2014
    After 3 years with JCT, the grass is getting greener and greener on the other side. Significant pay raises are being announced at company after company:

http://www.jsonline.com/business/sc...ck-drivers-8-to-13-b99368280z1-278738201.html

http://www.joc.com/trucking-logisti...k-driver-pay-bonuses-incentives_20140828.html

But so far JCT is sticking to the same pay scale that they've had for years.

I think that our variable lease plan is the best in the business. However, it's not unique. I looked at another company that is paying 10 cents/mile more (but with a 3 cent less FSC) that has virtually the same lease. I think that they pay practical miles too, but I'm not sure of that.

I'm going to stick around for another couple of months, but if JCT doesn't announce a rate increase I'll be making a move.

unloader and MachoCyclone Thank this.
  5. MachoCyclone

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    They really shouldn't let Tyson set the appointments for our loads. Three stops (all suppose to be today); 0500 in Ontario (done) 1000 in Riverside (in progress) and 1700 in Compton (not gonna happen). Been complaining about that last one since Friday morning.

Called dispatch this morning and they were you got just enough time to get the last stop (I have 5hours left on my clock at time of this posting). I said, yeah, but there is no parking in that area. I can't be there early. Can't get til right before appointment time and not allowed to park on the property. I am going to go the Colton yard after this stop and I will make sure the reefer is topped off. They come back with ok. Got you set up to drop in Colton after second stop. I told them thank you and hung up.

6. MachoCyclone

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    Got the trailer dropped at the Colton yard a couple of hours ago. Dispatched when u will be available again, and considering I had been up since 0100 PDT(PST?) I said 10 hours later or 0100 central time. But, I don't expect anything til morning anyway, but here and available for over night swap.

7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Just make sure you're not chasing money. It can be a fool's errand.

8. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Really happy with my new fuel card (found one where I get an honest to God discount, that .05/gal from JCT doesn't cut it).

On top of that, I made the fortunate discovery that DEF at Sapp Bros. is .20/gal cheaper than Love's (at Ogallala where I usually buy it, at any rate).

9. PokerRunn

PokerRunn Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2014
    To be sure. But it's not just about the money. I'm making more $$$ at JCT this year than I ever have. I want more control over where I go. Three years of putting up with Tyson is about enough!

10. Aminal

Aminal Heavy Load Member

Tyson setting appointment times explains a lot. Most, if not all, the screwy loads I have gotten so far have been Tyson loads.

11. Treputt

Treputt Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Tyson = Trucker You're Staying Over Night

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.