Rush Trucking Anyone?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by XiZBiT, Dec 8, 2007.

1. XiZBiT

XiZBiT Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Detroit
    About to make a move from Top Flite Express to sign on with Rush Trucking for thier dedicated routes, anyone have any good or bad thoughts on these guys?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Johnny99

Johnny99 Johnny be Good

Nov 24, 2007
    Big Sandy Tenn
    I worked for a guy who had 12 trucks leased to Rush. I ran dedicated automotive the whole time I was there. I ran the same from week to week. Make 3 pickups and deliver to the GM plant in OK City, drop loaded trailer there, pick up the trailer with empty racks on it and return. Then do the same thing all over again. It was steady. I made 3 rounds one week and two the next. On the week I did 3 roundtrips I got about 3900 miles, tricky to log but it can be done. The week with 2 trips was 2600 miles. This guy had his trucks leased to Rush for years and never had any problems getting paid that I heard of. The trailers were'nt the best but they would fix them pretty quick if they went down. The only downside I found about pulling dedicated automotive is that if cars are'nt selling they slow production down. If cars are selling you'll run your butt off. If not you won't. Another thing with dedicated automotive is it almost all JIT{just in time} delivery. The load I hauled had to be there by 10:30 am. they took the stuff right off the truck and put it on the assembly line. When you pick up at a shipper they will usually have a 1 hour window to load you from your appt. time. If they make the load late and it shuts down the assembly line it costs them a buch of money. So you usually won't get jacked around loading. And it was allways drop and hook at GM. Rush also runs a lot of cross border freight from Mexico for the auto makers. The guy I worked for had 3 of his trucks that just ran from Laredo or El Paso to Louisville and Detroit. I've been retired from trucking for a few years now, but if I ever decide to get back in it, dedicated automotive or tankers is the way I would go. I trucked for 30 years and I had 15 pulling a tanker and 5 doing dedicated automotive and I had a lot less problems with those two than your "no hill to steep, no load to cheap" general freight. If you go to Rush beware of the dispatchers on the weekend if your on a dedicated run. They had a general freight division and they would try to con you into hauling some of that. Good Luck

4. XiZBiT

XiZBiT Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Detroit
    Thanks, sounds pretty positive. I will be doing Detroit to Clinton Tenn 3x week (Ford Focus) for one truck and hopefully they will have a good dedicated run for me when it comes time to add a second.

I appreciate the info and the time it took you to write all that down.

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I just filled out an app with them. they are hiring for two runs one in brownsville TX to MO and the other in Los Indio TX to Flint MI, both of which could easily go right past my house. I'll let you know what I find out.

6. XiZBiT

XiZBiT Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Detroit
    Im looking the Clinton Tnn to Wayne Mi 3 x week

7. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Have you talked to them? I filled out the app but haven't called. I've been working 13 or 14 hour days this week so I haven't had a chance. That Los Indios to MI would be sweet, about 1800 miles each way if I remember right (it's late though!) i imagine that would be one full turn a week only

8. XiZBiT

XiZBiT Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Detroit
    Yeah, I have been talking to Danny in the recruting. I cant sign my truck on till I have a driver. My driver has 20 years exp but no OTR in the last 3 years. They dont care about any experience over 3 years, they want to see atleast 1 year OTR in the past 3 years. Now I am activly searching for a driver, I have 2 that I am intrested in but they are both on the road right now and cant get them in for a road test and submit thier applications.

I figure the truck(s) cant really start till Jan 2 with the hoidays approching. The money seems ok and the driver wages wont be to shabby either. I am running loacl freight now and my fuel miles is ###### at best, I am hoping to get better fuel milage doing some OTR.

I remember looking at Rush as a third rate company back in the day, but seems to be ok now. I have heard thier dispacthers can be reall pricks but they pay is always accurate and on time.

9. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    WHat kind of truck? If you put it on that Los Indios to Flint run I may be interested in driving it depending on the wage and the details of when they load and unload. I'd have to see if it worked out good timeing the home time for where I live

10. XiZBiT

XiZBiT Light Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Detroit
    Not much intrested in the TX run, looking for a shorter run that will get my drivers home every weekend. My current driver is road testing an applicant now, I have him run a 4 mile square radius he in Detroit, as all the right turns are very tight and If you can drive down here you can drive anywhere... lol

11. MedicineMan

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I know, I delivered to Machery produce on mack street for 4 years. I know Detroit almost as well as my own home town. I'd deliver at 4am and them go down to the office of H.C.Mclaren, the produce broker I hauled for. I forget the name of the street they were on but it was in a big produce market house. It's always fun getting around down there

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.