RV Transport Drivers

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by justgreene, Apr 24, 2011.

1. terrydiane007

terrydiane007 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2018
    So it is 2018 and I am wondering if it is a good idea to enter the RV Transport business now. My husband and I are looking to make a living off of this. Is there enough money to make a living on this and get all the bills paid on top of all the expenses involved with the business??? All replies are greatly appreciated!!

2. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    IMHO you need to haul something coming and going to pay all the bills.

flatbedcarrier Thanks this.
  3. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Haul and tow or 53' lowboy - yes . With a pick up - most don't .

4. Paddlewagon

Paddlewagon Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2017
    Llano Estacado
    Just to clarify,"Haul and tow" means you got one on the deck and you are dragging another?

5. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Yes . But just to clarify ; I tow one behind - not drag . LOL

6. jameschip71

jameschip71 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2019

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    At around $1.30/mi for small units it just doesn't pay enough 1-way to be worth the 50% deadhead miles. If it paid in the $1.60-1.70/mi range for single pull units one way I could see it being enough to actually survive on and keep your truck fixed and paid for. It's cheap freight running one at a time though and running cheap freight will make you go broke sooner or later. If you are running multiple units on a haul and tow or lowboy trailer that is a different situation and those multi-unit loads can pay decent rates. $2.25-2.75/mi from what I saw.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    For new people exploring this opportunity if you can access freight for the return trip then you have found a good situation.

9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Depends where you live. I had access to the Showroom Transport and AKAT load boards as well as U-Ship (don't waste your time there lol) and rarely ever saw anything good coming out of my part of the country heading back east towards Indiana, or I certainly would have been interested. Loads hauled off those boards often don't pay as much per mile as new units out of Indiana anyway, and the company you work for will skim 20% of whatever you do get for allowing you to use their numbers, making it even less worth the hassle. I was afraid to even ask what the heck you do if you ever had mechanical trouble of any kind with a customer-owned trailer being pulled on the ground over a long distance, so I pretty much decided to stay away from that stuff on account of it not being worth the risk or trouble. If you run a lowboy trailer and want to put backhaul freight on that I could see that being more realistic at times.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  10. Lite bug

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Maybe 2005 I seen a guy with 2 campers on his gooseneck. I ask him if he made any money doing that, he said when he delivered them his wife could look for loads back and that is how he made money. Well I never carried campers but his explanation told me everything I needed to start my business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.