RV Transport questions...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Rick_C, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I can take a load to Texas and come back with 741.00 for 3 days work. Yes, I have to maintain the truck, but so do you on a big truck. I am my own boss and work when and where I want.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. matski

matski Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Brooksville, FL
    I'm in the process of leasing on to a RV Transport company. I was advised that I needed to have an electric brake away battery in the bed of my truck. Is this just a 12 volt battery or do I need to purchase a brake away switch and cable? I didn't think to ask the recruiter the last time I talked to her. Thanks for any information you may provide.

4. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Wet cell battery like a lawn mower battery. Be sure to keep it charged. They are really looking at these on inspections.

matski Thanks this.
  5. Bigfoot_Trucking

Bigfoot_Trucking Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Harrison,Arkansas
    I have a full size marine battery w/box that I use. I would keep it in a locked toolbox when its not hooked to a trailer. Those things come up missing. Also recommend locking 5th wheel etc to truck.

matski Thanks this.
  6. jatman45

jatman45 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2014
    cadiz, ky
    Any know issues with the 2013 ram 3500 cummins as far as transporting rv's?? besides the fact they get a little lower mpg than the 5.9....or issues know with the aisin transmission.

thanks

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    You would be getting better info on the link I sent you.

You might even get some here

http://www.autoexpeditor.com/forum.php

http://trailerexpeditor.com/

jatman45 Thanks this.
  8. jatman45

jatman45 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2014
    cadiz, ky
    Picked up a new 2013 crew cab ram 3500 saturday ( i know i know its new..) but with the tradein they gave me it was hard to justify paying the money for a good used one when i could have a new truck by only sticking 15k more in it....at least i have the comfort of knowing how it was taken care of)....bighorn edition with the aisin auto, 3.42 rear diff, 46k on the sticker, they gave me 29 tradein for my old truck, so all in all i actually refinanced 37k taxes n license. havent had it under a load yet but highway its averaging 18-19 at 75 according to the lie-o-meter. picked up 60 gallon auxiliary tank so i have something to do this weekend, turnover ball and 5'er gets put in in the morning. Scheduled to do orientation for indiana transport the 17th. Already have all the "tools" they recommend. Anyone have any advice for a few addons i might need or find myself wanting ??? Am new to this , ive done straight truck, combo's, van...but all was local/regional (200 mile radius). Am looking forward to definitely giving this a shot. Am all ears to any good advice lol....

by no means am i a diesel mechanic, but i do know how to use tools so i will be doing my own fluid changes, any problems i have with ujoints, hubs, brakes, stuff like that so that should save me some money, by no means would i attempt to tear into that 6.7 further than changing the air filter or belts lol, whole lotta stuff there that i seriously think i would just mess the hell up lol

p.s. any advice on 17 in tires to run, my experience with factory tires is that they usually last half the life as ones you normally buy lol....has generals on it atm, figured i may as well have a set waiting.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  9. Bigfoot_Trucking

Bigfoot_Trucking Light Load Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Harrison,Arkansas
    I would recommend a larger fuel tank. I have an 80 gallon in my short wheel base and its not enough most of the time to save $$$ on fuel purchases. You'll also have to buy fuel in Canada if you do any runs that way. I'm able to make it in and out most times without having to.

Take out your back seat and build a bed frame with storage underneath. And get a comfy mattress. You will want to be as comfortable as you can be while out on a run.

I also recommend some kind of rock guard on the back of the truck in addition to big mud flaps.

I also recommend Microsoft Streets & Trips for route planning etc etc.

I'll post what tires I have tomorrow. I got 130k on my last set.

Save money now while we have plenty of loads. Starting in September loads are not as easy to come by. And companies still lease on new drivers during the slow time.

10. jatman45

jatman45 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2014
    cadiz, ky
    have the regular truck flaps front n back, rock tamers hangin off the hitch (i feel mildly retarded with those on there). Received the 5'er yesterday and put it together and dropped it in. (doesnt look as stout as i was expecting) but i assume it does the job. All thats left is getting the stuff in so i can hook up the aux tank and bolt it down. Gonna live with the back seat in it for a trip or two, figure i might see some rigs at the yard that might spark an idea or two in my creative little mind. Orientation on the 17th.

Bigfoot are you still with Indiana Trans?

If so , hope to meet you sometime

11. jatman45

jatman45 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2014
    cadiz, ky
    another question i did have is the height and adjustments on the fifth wheel , i put everything together on the medium setting , both heighth and axle , that pretty much gtg or ???
    never fifth wheeled in small truck, drug around quite a few goosenecks so i figured that shooting in the middle would work good all the way around without having to pull the bolts and resetting everytime

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.