RV Transport questions...

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Rick_C, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RVTransporter

RVTransporter Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Goshen, Indiana
    It's also full of newbie truckers that have never done RV hauling and post their uninformed opinions in forums like this. I did the math. It appears that Wal-Mart greeters make a lot more money than I thought they did.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cobradeeah

cobradeeah Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I am looking to get into rv hauling and am wondering what a newbie driver needs to know to make it. And is it profitable enough to make truck payments and still save some money?

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    It is if the payments are for a used truck you paid less than $10,000 for .

5. mactransport

mactransport Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello, I am NEW to this RV hauling. Can you please help he figure out how to get backhauls or .... a few tricks to the trade.

6. maddytravels

maddytravels Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Sign up with a company who has a good reload program. Honestly Horizon Transport is the best for reloads. Ive been in the industry for 10 years and can tell you most people lie that are out here. Uship is a waste of time.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I know a guy who had been with them for a long time and he was at our company applying since he has noticed a big drop in the back hauls due to the guy leaving and going to Indiana transport. He also said the Camping World deal is going to be bad for Horizon drivers and he wanted to beat the rush out.

8. maddytravels

Jul 17, 2013
    Ive been in the business 10 years. Ive had my ups and downs. This could be with any industry. I made mistakes and lost my butt out here. I didn't give up I learned from my mistakes. Here is a few tips.
    1. You will not get rich but you can do above average if you do it right. 2. Don't go out a buy the most expensive shiny new truck you can find. Downie Dodge in Nappanee is the best place to start. The owner doesn't order strip downs but he orders a basic chrome pkg with electric doors and windows. He can get just about anyone financed with a good interest rate. He can also get your start up equipment financed in your truck loan and can send you to Dans or Dually Depot with a P.O. to have your equipment professionally installed. You dont really need a dually. Thats is just more maintenance. I have had just about every type and I do not recommend a short bed. I kick myself daily on this decision I made on my current truck. Also Dodge is the best way to go. They also have a 4 year unlimited mileage if its mechanical its covered warranty for an additional cost. This is worth it I had a transmission go out on my first truck under dispatch at 158k miles in California. Forget the 100k warranty that will be gone in a few months. Also the trucks at Downie are about 10-15k cheaper than anyone else.
    3. Maintain your truck. Yes it costs but man if you drive till it dies your gonna pay more.
    4. Maintain your equipment and buy good equipment. Blue Ox makes a fantastic inline hitch. Its my favorite. The sway bars pop in and out easily and you crank the saddles. Always carry more stuff than you may need like bottle jacks, wiring, tools etc.
    5. Find a good company. I worked for several companies 2 years before I went to Horizon. I wont name them but no company is perfect. Ive been with Horizon almost 8 years. You know what your getting with them as far as pay, loads, etc. Dont believe the rumours.
    6. Stay to yourself.You will find few honest people in this business who you can truly call a friend.
    7. Save for rainy days and stay on top of your stuff for taxes.

Pastor Kenny Powers and rowekmr Thank this.
  9. Casual Trucker

Casual Trucker Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Use your Gift 17 years as a sales analyst Find shippers/receivers that can give you a contract to haul steady loads. Load boards and such are designed for left overs. If you are going to stick your wallet out on a new venture and put you and your family financial future at risk based on some BigBadBillyBob Butt scratch er and end up in lala land financially this is not the time to try it you wana go up not down.When you look at this forum and you see more people complaining about cheap loads than bragging about the good ones It is time to drive someone else WAGON skip the pain and agony part .Learn the tricks of the trade before investing.Sure you will make more money with your own truck But you can also Loose More.No body really knows what is best for somebody only you can be the judge of what you want,so try it without risking a whole lot in case it doesn't work for you.
    CDL vs non-CDL: The More Versatile the better off you will be

Equipment: 1-ton PU dually pickup? they only last about 100,000 miles after that they will start Coughing up big bills Guess what? Trade in Value Gone

Double Loads: dually pickup the heavier the load the sooner you are gona have to take it to the clinic @ $100/Hr +parts let alone tires

Larger equipment: Big fuel bills you R gona have to have lotsa good steady freight LOAD BORGS are not the answer if you are new to this.You have to be able to spot the slick willie's the phony the wana be a broker schmucks you the ones that measure their knowledge by "quanto è grande il loro culo è"

rowekmr and Western flyer Thank this.
  10. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Dually only last how many miles????

You have got to be kidding.

11. maddytravels

Jul 17, 2013
    The guy in question left Horizon a couple of years ago and has not worked at Indiana Transport in over a year. Ive talked to drivers at Indiana Transport who said the reloads suck so thats neither here nor there. The Camping World rumors are funny nobody knows anything yet really other than all transport companies will no longer deliver any CW units. Do the math and look at the market share they order from factories. I'm not so sure its healthy to spread stuff that no one has all of the facts on. Thats why the rumour mill in this industry is so poisonous.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.