RV Transport vs. LTL/HotShot Hauling

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by BSTT450, Feb 20, 2013.

1. mcgoo422000

mcgoo422000 Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I think most that ran with gary truck's never made it out of warranty before
    going on ebay. Them guy's were so niave they didn't know claiming the truck was a hotshot truck was like putting the "mark of cain" on them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Remember that article on hotshotting Todd Dills did in "Overdrive " several years ago ? He ask me for contacts and I sent him to the Hotshot Hauling Forum .He talked to Blue , Black , Melvin , TGPilot , and a couple of others . I advised him against talking to Gary but he did anyway . :biggrin_2559:

4. mcgoo422000

mcgoo422000 Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I didn't start to get overdrive till a couple years ago. First few years I was spending most my time trying not to starve.
    They had themselves a "good one" first few years as I knew nothing. I ran accross gary in 08 or 09, I had been run around so much by then I read about three sentences of his site and knew he was searching for fools to make his payday. I didn't last no time there think it was
    when I called him the pied piper looking for fools and indentured servants that done me in and got all my post deleted.

5. RVTransporter

RVTransporter Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Goshen, Indiana
    I can't answer your questions about LTL, I've never done it. I haul RVs for a living.

• (Honest) Avg per Mile Rate? - I get $1.30 per loaded mile with $.65 going to the truck.
    • Own Authority vs. Company lease with whom? - I'm an O/O leased to a small company in Indiana.
    • Backhauls/reload rate? - Reloads are rare but there are a few. I haven't figured the reload rate but I'm sure it's well under 10%.
    • Total per Year Expenses?
    • Total per Year PROFIT? - Expenses and profit can vary a lot depending on how hard you run.

I haul everything from 7000 lb travel trailers to 14000 lb fifth wheels with my bone stock '05 Ram 3500 DRW (Cummins). I average about 12 mpg loaded and 20 mpg unloaded. When loaded, I get about 325 miles before I refuel, I never let the fuel level get below 1/4 of a tank.

RickG has a good point about running a truck that's paid for. However I don't get a pension, my wife doesn't work and I'm making a decent living. My only bills are my mortgage and monthly utilities and all my kids are grown and out of the house. No CC payment, car loan or anything like that.

If you live frugally and can do some of your own maintenance and repairs, you can do ok, imho. I sleep in my truck 99.9% of the time (yes, even when it's below freezing), I don't eat in restaurants 3 times a day, I do all the routine maintenance on my truck and whatever repairs I can.

• Is it worth it for a Newbie? - Only you can decide that.

6. BSTT450

BSTT450 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Thanks for the info, I actually have a pretty decent set up to haul LTL/hotshot if I wanted to (new model F450, nearly paid off and a rental opportunity with a 38' tri-axle enclosed with a sleeper) I don't like the tri-axle idea much due to the added expenses but start-up would be a lot less expensive not needing to buy a new trailer.

7. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Seems to me that is what happens with a big truck too.

8. BSTT450

BSTT450 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Thank you for this. I have actually called every RV Transport company in Indiana and they sure try to talk the industry up where it seems too good to be true ya know and that is what I am figuring out. You go on their facebook pages and they are basically begging drivers to come in and get their units out but yet they are screwing all the O/O's by not letting them have their own authority. I am assuming you (RVTransporter) don't have your own authority? do you usually come back empty then?

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

I do it for a living as well. I have a truck with a payment. I just quit discussing it with people who seem to think it cannot be done. My wife works, but not a good income. I basically am the same as you.

Number21 Thanks this.
  10. BSTT450

BSTT450 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Great Point! A truck is a piece of equipment, like any other piece of equipment, that depreciates at a rate based on how you use it. Transporting RV's seems, to me, easier on the truck than hauling pieces of freight. RV's are built (now days) more aerodynamic with less drag making them easier to haul.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Not really . Why do you always neglect to mention you are an enrolled agent with accounts with businesses using your tax services ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.