RV Transport vs. LTL/HotShot Hauling

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by BSTT450, Feb 20, 2013.

1. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    More random loads from April so far.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

This is a very small percentage of the loads we've moved so far this month. I'd have posted more pictures but my time is limited and I'd of had to switch computers to do it. The loads of vans you see, we've moved at least 12 loads of them alone within the last two weeks, and thT was for a new customer.

The point I'm trying to make, there's plenty of work out there, depending on the type of equipment you're running, and how aggressive you're willing to hunt for it. As of right now, I'd say 20% of the loads we move in a month are off of load boards, the other 80% of the loads we move comes in from Brokers and Shippers calling, or emailing us.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Newtrucker48 and nicklarsonx Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. paintballer

paintballer Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

Not that you can't make it with a little truck, but you are limiting your options. Your not as safe or comfortable and 480k is nothing for a big truck........ And a 80k Rig has more options than mine.

roadmap65 Thanks this.
  4. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm not hear to knock what you're doing at all. Just here giving my opinion on RV transport verses LTL Hotshot work like the title of this thread was asking for.

Limiting our options, nah, more like expanding our options.

Myself I'd rather be running a new ram truck than I would a older semi with 500,000 to 800,000 harsh student driven miles on it that the DOT is going to want to put under a microscope every time it rolls through a scale. As far as safety, we're just as safe as any semi truck on the road, possibly even safer. In the rare event we get inspected, we always get a clean bill of health. And as far as comfort, you can add a dot legal bunk to any of these Rams.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  6. paintballer

Jun 10, 2014
    I could make a case for a new semi also. I got pulled in half as much as when I was driving my new dually with a gooseneck. lol..... All those loads you posted I could have hauled plus put a Suburban or another pc of LTL on. As such my fuel was paid by the top deck. Hey some can do well after being in the business for awhile, if they find your kind of freight. I am assuming your rates are much better than most of the spot market rates. Or you would not have lasted for 12 years. Most guys starting out will struggle to get a good rate consistently. And have to rely on the Spot Market more than a established carrier.

A dually will never be as safe (with a electric brake trailer plated for more than 26k) or comfortable. The fact is DOT is going to be harder on us all. Don't be surprised if you little guys start feeling it even more.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree. In my opinion bigger equals more options. Not a guarantee though.

7. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yeah Brian we just see things a little differently that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

Safety is top priority here, it always has been.

paintballer Thanks this.
  8. paintballer

Jun 10, 2014
    I think that's a good way to put it. I don't doubt your success or Roadmedic either for that matter. If I could do things over I would have gone with a 80k rig gvw, custom built Alum stepdeck. Back in 05/08 I would have hauled LTL with a occasional car. $4 to 5 PM with 2.25 pg fuel....... And that was with mainly spot market and 3 or 4 good brokers that thought enough of me to call me before posting the loads.......

Make no mistake while driving, I always treated RV or Hot Shots like professional drivers. Because they are. Size of the Truck/ trailer does not matter.

RVTransporter Thanks this.
  9. TheTraveler87

TheTraveler87 Bobtail Member

Jan 11, 2017

Who do you do drive-always for? I've found very few drive away gigs that I did independently but difficult to come by. I have a CDL A, and am trying to do my own thing rather be a company driver but it's hard to pay bills when you don't have consistency.
    How much are you making doing drive-aways?
    Are you contracted through companies to get work loads ?
    Any knowledge of Bennett Driveaway?
    Any advice or resources would be greatly appreciated!

10. lastone in

lastone in Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Plano, TX.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.