Sacrificial liner? What is it?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by rbrauns, Jan 23, 2020.

1. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    The shop that did my inframe because of a sunk liner on my Detroit Series 60 told me that they couldn't just install shims because the block was cracked.

Instead, they installed a "sacrificial" liner which fixes the problem. I'm told that this sacrificial liner will last another 850,000 miles.

They had the engine back together before I could see what they did but I'm curious to see what a sacrificial liner actually looks like.

Does anyone know?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Never heard that term. Maybe a counterbore repair sleeve?

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    E29E6F73-ECB6-4751-A2E0-296F705B01AA.jpeg CC8BA623-A56B-4E5E-871D-62B2D21E8D92.jpeg I think Boxcars right, they might just be referring to a Counterbore insert. I think they come in 30,40,and 50 thousandths. Shims are no longer used, at least on Detroit’s. They cut about 10x or more, compared to the old way of using shims.They use a power drill motor, on a special cutting machine, since doing it by hand, one thousandth at a time, like they did for shims, would take forever. Here’s a picture of 6, 30 thousandths shims, they used on my Truck. I already had 2 installed from last Overhaul, they were cut completely out, no need to cut any more of the block, as the original cuts were still good. Inserts themselves were questionable, around the top only. along with cutting the other 4 cylinders that were also showing pitting. Sounds like you only needed 1 of the block bores cut, and 1 insert installed, to get proper height of the sleeve above the deck of the block. The others were still high enough.Maybe they’re calling the inserts sacrificial, because, it takes all the abuse, and if damaged, can be cut out, and replaced, on next O.H. along with cutting the block and installing them in any other cylinders that need it. Its common practice for at least 12 yrs. or more, as I had one done that long ago, the same way. They talked like it was a new thing. Not sure exactly when they started using them, instead of shims.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
  6. rbrauns

rbrauns Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Wow, this forum is great. The invoice says "salvage sleave". The mechanic tells me that these sleaves last for the life of the engine so they must be referring to counterbore inserts. Thanks so much for the pictures. Helps me understand what they did.

Rideandrepair and nikmirbre Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s wrong on sizes, here’s a list B56BAF5E-97C4-46AB-92A2-072DEA9BDDD1.png

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.