Saw a Yellow trailer in the middle of the highway

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by John Joel Glanton, May 19, 2022.

1. LTL Bull

LTL Bull Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2020
    Every terminal I was at had them. Back in the day CFCC and CF had I scale on the dock to check weights.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I pulled double oil tankers with single screw for a few months before I got a semi trailer. That was real rough. The oil was only loaded about 3/4 of the way to get to 80k. We had a driver lose the rear trailer on I5 and spill all over the highway.

John Joel Glanton Thanks this.
  4. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    I think its very unlikely the dolly went with the rear box. The way that hook is attached to a pup you would have to rip the rear end off the trailer to get it off. And there are 4 safeties that hold the dolly to that hook. One is the top of the hook itself which locks in place and is supposed to be pinned as well. Then there is an air driven pressure plate pressing against the ring on the dolly, and if it isnt working then the wheels on the front box arent rolling either. And last but not least there are 2 chains that hold it as well.

Most likely he high hooked the rear box and didnt notice it, or the pin released. I have had the 5th wheel pin on the dolly actually release on me. In fact Ive had it happen on 3 different occasions (yes, I know the trailer was locked because I always shine a light up to make sure its locked). All 3 times the temp was -25 degrees or colder. But luckily it happened in the yard at low speed and always after a 90 degree turn to the right.

I have also had several occasions where I had to hook the boxes in reverse order (heavy on the rear). In 1 case, the rear was 20,000 pounds and the lead was 2,000. I had a tandem axle tractor and the heavy boxes in these cases were 26 footers, so I had to put the 28 footer in the lead or when I turn I would rip the landing gear off the trailer with the frame of the tractor. It gets squirrely as hell that way when you are breaking, but no way would it cause the rear box to release. But it handles fine just going down the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.