Scale/Weight/Axle Question

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    As far as I know, all the kingpin settings are the same. They are all standard dry van trailers, Im not pulling different type trailers like lowboys, stepdecks or car haulers for example.

I'm sure it will but it shouldn't have the amount of differences I am experiencing (Please see other posts).

Again, this is the problem, the 5th wheel is all the way back & on the scale ticket below, I'm still at 12,780. I agree that it shouldnt ever be.... but it is.

Please see post 28 which shows another scale ticket where the steers are at 12420 & shows two pictures of the 5th wheel all the way back into the last notch.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you weighed 12,420 on that particular load becuase you only had slightly less then 3/4 tanks. if the tanks were full, you'd be closer to 12,700.

i took a load from utah to cali, weighing 760 pounds over. i stopped at petro in reno and scaled. i burned off 440 on the steers and 260 on the drives. that was 700 pounds. 60 pounds more to go. i rolled with it. by the time i hit truckee scale which was 35 miles. i was right around the 80,000 mark. 21 miles to cali state line, 15 miles UP the cali mountain to scale.

still trying to figure out the math. but i'm guessing the steers burn off weight 27.5 % faster then the drives.

my next load to cali, was 2250 pounds shy of gross. but 12,440 on steers and 34260 on drive. again hit the petro in reno for scale. 12040 on steers, 34000 on drives. i burned off the same weight on the same travel. almost.

if your 5th wheel is absolutely back as far as you can go. guess your in a dillema.
    take a pic of trailer connected to 5th wheel and post it on here so people can see what your talking about. or even just the 5th wheel itself.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Mitch, you're mistaken here. It doesn't matter where in the trailer the load is, as far as steer/drive ratio. Sure it will change how much is on the kingpin or the tandem, but only the 5th wheel position determines the distribution of that weight to the steers and drives. Same for the kingpin setting on the trailer, that only determines the split between the kingpin and tandem.

To the OP: Unless you're weighing with dramatically differing fuel levels, I'm thinking there's something up with one of the scales. Also, where is the 5th wheel in relation to the tandems?

5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Been lookin at this...&couple of things come to mind
    1-Hammers dead on w/5th setting--been wondering same thing....So you say all the way back...BUT where is that? Just looked at Werener Cascadia here at the Alamo---& from what I could tell---doesn't look like you could get it more n an inch or so past top dead center....

also in terms of fuel...it is helpful to know what the weight split is between your drives&steers...

For example I have mine at 60/40---but that is irrelevant....because that's MY truck which is not anything like yours....just helpful to know how much fuel weight goes on each...

6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    have always put the 5th wheel 1 notch forward of center of drives.

freightliners and volvos.

and NEVER have to move it.

really.

once you find the sweet spot it doesn't move.

snowwy Thanks this.
  7. Bry

Bry Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2013
    oops, thx for the correction!

8. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Here are a few pics to show you where the 5th wheel is in relation to the drives.

IMG_1070.jpg IMG_1072.jpg IMG_1071.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  9. Shoestring

Shoestring Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lehigh Fl
    actually the amount of weight on the drives would affect the weight on the steers. I have noticed this several times. The higher the weight on my drives, the lower weight on my steers.

Think about it this way. What happens when you put a bunch of weight in the back of a pickup truck or car? The front end picks up.

running 34k on drives my steers run about 12k even. running 26k on drives my steers run 12.5k. Granted I don't see the 1k+ the op is seeing but, there is a difference.

10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    That behavior totally depends on the location of the 5th wheel in relation to the tandem. Forward of the centerline, weight adds weight, behind it can behave like you noticed.

Grumppy, go to advanced mode and upload the pics.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    And I think I figured out why my scale ticket pics wont upload & the others will.
    The ones of the scale tickets were taken up close so the info on the ticket would be readable. They are over 2.00 MB
    The others (the ones I have posted of the 5th wheel) were taken at a distance & are all less than 2.00 MB (1.60 - 1.80 mb).

All pics are jpeg & were taken with my iPhone. Some will, some wont.

I am assuming that's why they wont upload.. Does anyone know the file size limit?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.