Scam broker alert⚠️ EAST WEST LOGISTICS

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by KB3MMX, Feb 16, 2023.

1. OscarGoldman

OscarGoldman Light Load Member

May 9, 2022
    I don't use brokers as I am lucky to have direct freight. If I did i would use the big boys or an established broker that has been in business for at least 5-10 years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC

4. true blue

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    I've only been trucking for a few years (since I got out of the Navy in '78), but here's my opinion, as I've been an O/O leased to a few different companies and now in my 23rd year under my own authority. No bond amount is going to stop criminals and scam artists from getting into business. That's what OOIDA mistakenly believed when they got on board with all the other big brokerages (J.B. Hunt, Schneider, Landstar, etc. etc.) to raise the bond from $10K to $75K. They said it would be a step in the right direction. WRONG! All it did (to the GREAT DELIGHT of the bigger carriers/brokerages) was knock out a lot of mom & pop brokerages like myself, who didn't have a LOT of freight (VOLUME freight), but had a few really good customers who paid our rates so we could pay the carriers well and on time. Those big brokerages laughed all the way to the bank! The $75 bond knocked out a BUNCH of us from continuing our brokerage. Now, just think a minute! Have you heard of these ambulance-chasing injury lawyers looking to get our liability insurance raised from our typical $100K to upwards of $450 - $750K just so they can get BIGGER settlements for their clients (and their % - $$$$$)? How would you like that? Same thing, pal!

Now, if you could think a little bit more - why don't they make the broker bond equal to the amount of freight a broker typically does in say, a 3 month period? You think Landstar, C.H.Robinson, TQL, BNSF, or any of the others worry about that bond that went from $10K to $75K? They do that kind of volume in SECONDS!!! Their bond, if things were done according to their freight volume, would be in the MILLIONS!!! They laugh at the bond, dude! Start thinking like a business man! We O/O's and small carriers are getting SQUASHED by the regulators (many of whom are on the take in one way or another) who regulate us to death! Take the CSA scores - they FAVOR the BIG CARRIERS! They could have numerous FATAL accidents and we could potentially have a couple of minor accidents (re: the "swoop & squat" method used by insurance scammers who CAUSE the accidents and often work with these injury lawyers!) and our CSA scores would make us look WAY worse than a Schneider! Remember when the details on the accidents used to be open to the public? Yeah, that didn't last long! The big carriers DID NOT want all their accidents being viewed by everyone. Showed just how bad they really were. But their scores looked good!

You want to protect yourself from scam artists and thug brokers? Do your due diligence -
    1. Don't haul for a new broker! Give them a year in business first. (Check their "old" MC # with their DOT #. That's the number that matters!).
    2. Do a credit check - Ansonia Credit Check, if you don't have the load board account
    3. Make sure EVERYTHING you discussed in the rate is IN WRITING on the RATE CON!
    4. If you made the mistake of being under a load and you find out their crooked, as you read this, don't unload without getting paid BEFORE you unload - and git it in direct deposit.
    5. Get yourself a good transportation attorney, or at least read the latest book by Henry E. Sutton: "Rules of the Road; A Practical Guide to the Legal Issues in Truck Transportation". Learn how to do your business like a business man (or woman).
    6. Don't haul cheap freight! My motto: I will never haul a load that I can't make a profit on. You can be sure the broker is still going to make HIS profit!
    7. Act like a professional - Be on time, dress like you are in business, keep your equipment looking good and maintain it properly and update your broker on your load (arrival, load, unload, etc.). A good broker will remember you and those good brokers are the ones you want to keep in your phone and stay in touch with.

JT3355, PSM379, rollin coal and 3 others Thank this.
  5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If there's any more political talk in this thread it will be closed and moved to Politics. You guys know better than to let this kind of garbage loose in the main forum.
    In the mean time I'll do some deleting.

6. true blue

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Can you tell me what you are talking about? Politics??

7. Vampire

Vampire Medium Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Transylvania
    :rolleyes:

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We try to keep political posts out of the main forum. Several posts were deleted. We also have the option of closing the thread or moving it to the Politics forum.

9. true blue

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    So I take it my post was safe. (?)

10. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Exactly
    You ask when it when you book with a new company and no rating.

Screenshot_20230220-200156_RTS Pro.jpg

11. Avrakotos

Avrakotos Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2020
    BC
    Youre good. He was referring to my post where i was trying to explain that we need rules, regulations, and laws to prevent doouble brokering and load board scammers from being able to operate. I used the train derailment in OH as an example of why some rules are needed and it turned a bit political. Wasnt my intentions, just wanted to explain the situation.

7. Act like a professional - Be on time, dress like you are in business, keep your equipment looking good and maintain it properly and update your broker on your load (arrival, load, unload, etc.). A good broker will remember you and those good brokers are the ones you want to keep in your phone and stay in touch with.

THIS IS TRUE - I KEEP NOTES ON EVERYONE I RUN WITH AND THE GOOD CARRIERS THAT KEEP ME UPDATED (SO I CAN KEEP THE CUSTOMER UPDATED) AND SHOW PRIDE IN THEIR WORK ALWASY GET FIRST DIBS ON ALL OF MY FREIGHT. I SEND OUT EMAILS ON AVAILABLE LOADS LONG BEFORE EVER POSTINIG ON A LOAD BOARD.

true blue Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.