Scammed on Ebay purchasing a truck.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nikmirbre, Sep 25, 2019.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    When a deal is too good to be true. There's ALWAYS a scammer behind it.

And ebay and craigslist. Are full of scammers.

Even my local classifieds is full of them.

They're EVERYWHERE.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I looked at that link and the horrible punctuation is a dead give away that it's a scam. That is the first thing I look for. Horrible punctuation and stuff that doesn't make sense like 1999 Kenworth w900 Bluetooth, full tank of gas, hybrid drive, etc. That's the easy way to catch em on Craigslist. My Landrover was for sale all over the country on Craigslist a few years back. A scammer got pictures of it off a website and made listings all over the place for it. I sat up one night and just went from one Craigslist to the next and found it from new England to Florida to Idaho. It's funny seeing Idaho and Connecticut ads with palm trees in the background lol.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Sometimes a picture may have a EXFIL data stamped or embedded within the file that makes up the image. Its been a long time since I needed to consider the EXFIL DATA on a picture, partiuclarly if it is taken with a digital camera capable of branding such information into a image. One way to bypass or clean it is to copy and paste into paint and presto. No Exfil. However anything moved on the internet carries packet, mac address and IP address etc which is not difficult to "Hunt" when the Law enforcement has the right collection of same.

As far as the truck, the image tells me it's not Ann Arbor at all.

I do a little ebay once in a blue moon and have had overall no trouble. I once had a bidder that was playing the system like a video game and worked with EBAY to create against them a NARU which means they were burned out of the site and have their account no longer a registered user a few times. I consider those kill paints on my virtual plane. 4 NARUs so far. I do wield my auctions with a complete attention to my bidders, and if there is any problem. Everything is turned over to Ebay and the auction closed absolute.

I do wire money monthly, both ends of that wire is covered and known. Otherwise it wont work. If there is a problem FBI has no trouble with the situation. We had a lender refuse a wired pay off funds and that was interesting. But ultimately our bank when they got the original student loan papers etc worked over a period of three months to ram the pay off (Around 26000) through to the Loan holder in Missouri which deals with taking student loan payments. They would much rather make the interest in decades of monthly payments than to be paid off clear against just the principle plus a certain percentage over designed to meet the expected interest overage the following two months to choke off more billing. What part of account closed do they not understand? Ha...

Im sorry that 22K was a big pain and came out to be a big nothing. We would never commit money to buy something at that magnitude without doing a bit of travel to see first hand.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    A lot of the pictures are just dead giveaways. we get them all the time up here in Alaska with the item sitting on a beach, or in a nice landscaped lush and green, when our whole world is white. lol

6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC

In the auction, he did specify that it ran the southwest and was an “Arizona truck”. The sellers account who they hacked into was outta Michigan so that’s why he said it was in Michigan

Bakerman and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  7. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yes. I’ve purchased a few trucks here and there sight unseen. Even if truck needed an engine and was half of what they said it was, it would’ve been worth it.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  8. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    He mentioned in auction only thing you need to do was finish the pinstriping....

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  9. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    eBay deleted the ad from my eBay page so I can no longer pull it up. But this ad is almost the same as eBay auction. There’s a few more lines of information on this ad.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I’ve been an eBay member for about 15 years. I’ve purchased and sold stuff on there no problem and will continue to. I thought I was sending the money to a company which I did google beforehand. And it was a legit company out of the Detroit area..... 1 more bit of information. When the “seller “ stopped responding and I called him, the number was a google voice number, that’s the moment I knew.

x1Heavy, mhyn and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yeah I never would do something like that on Craigslist....

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.