Scariest Moment

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by ISLAND WARRIOR, Apr 16, 2009.

1. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    That's why I've got my mudflaps cut shorter than they're supposed to be. Short is better than none. I'd never keep them on there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. james3505

james3505 Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2010
    ozark,ar
    when you get in a spot like that, use bungee's to hold up your mudflaps untill you out of there

phroziac and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  4. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Two empty boxes. And it turns out, it made the TV news in AZ.

77mph winds from the side. Hurricanes technically start at 74. :biggrin_2555:

5. phroziac

phroziac Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Gary, IN
    First of all, it was my tractor. Second, haven't you seen those trailers with wheels on the landing gear?

i put it back on a day late...TA in pembroke let me use their bay to put it on, and an air drill too, while i was getting a flat tire fixed. cool, eh?

i coulda failed a DOT physical for a couple hours man!

FMCSR says it has to be 75% IIRC....mine are at about 99%. I'd like to cut them to about 70% but havent figured out what to cut em with...mine are the real thick ones.

6. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Wood saw works great.

Elvenhome21 Thanks this.
  7. wiseguy3501

wiseguy3501 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeville, MN
    Last summer, was driving home to MN from my grandfathers funeral in PA in a 4 wheeler.

Was coming up I-94 in WI maybe about 15 minutes from Eau Claire, fairly late at night. Could see a storm approaching thanks to the lightning, and thanks to my cell phone I knew that it was Flash Flood Warned. All I can say is holy hell.

I have NEVER seen it rain so hard, not to mention, I have NEVER seen so much lightning produced from one storm. Wipers on full, going 10 mph, and still couldn't see ####. Anything faster and you were hydroplaning, even with brand new tires. The lightning, I swear was striking every couple seconds, blinding and deafening you with every flash.

Finally after about an hour we finally hit Eau Claire, still pouring, streets flooded(a foot+ in some places), pulled into the Kwik Trip off of 93 and took a break to calm our nerves. Even while there, still in our vehicles the lightning was still scary. About 5 minutes after getting there, power went out to the area too.

To help my point, I am someone that loves a good storm, the more violent, the more I'm interested in it(not that I want people to get hurt or anything). But I have never had a storm, even a tornado warned storm scare me. However, this storm scared the #### out of me for some reason. I have to be amazed to this day that we all made it through with our pants clean, altho that was the first thing that we needed to do when we got the the Kwik Trip. After 14 hours straight of driving, it was definitely a wake up call.

8. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Try a hurricane. Had a load of lumber tarped on the back headed for the gulf when it hit. After some miles, found a barn to park next to (don't know why; we were getting hammered anyway) and woke up next morning to find the barn gone, the tarps gone with tattered remains pinned under the straps, the truck and the front of the lumber sandblasted: truck needed a new paint job and windshield.
    Oddly, we just thought it was a hoot. Young and dumb I guess.

9. vavega

vavega Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    maple shade, nj
    next time, turn them upside down, cut 2 X's with a utility knife and attach with plastic ties

scariest meoment? having 7 rolls of cut paper (6' high) loaded in the center of the trailer all shift to the left at the same time, going through a curve at 20 miles an hour. i lucked out in that when it started to go over i tapped the brakes and it dropped back down.

10. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    New Mexico, I-40, in the rain at night in one of those construction zones where they put both directions of travel on the same side, westbound just past Tucumcari about a year and a half ago when all the traffic was diverted to the eastbound side of the freeway. NM is notorious for making narrow lanes in a construction zone, so my right tires were less than a foot from the dirt. NM is also notorious for the road design that, when you approach the fog line, it "sucks" you off the road. About halfway through the construction zone, there was a sharp dip on the right side...my steer went into it, caught the edge of the "sucker" pavement and nearly sent me into the median. It would not have been pretty because the median at that point is fairly steep. I would have rolled the truck. Stopped in Santa Rosa to get my s*** together after that. :)

11. wiseguy3501

wiseguy3501 Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeville, MN
    For some reason I figure that I would enjoy it too considering my current enjoyment of weather.

Do companies not think about potential weather issues like a hurricane before routing you, or are they all living under a log?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.