Schneider box planner will answer your questions...

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Op506, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Op506

Op506 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Are you curious about why the Schneider box team does what it does?

Are you, were you, a driver that got frustrated over empty searches and wanted to know what the heck box was thinking?

I'll try to pop on and answer.

(box is responsible for empty trailers, not loads)

I am not here under Schneider guidance... I am curious to see what happens.

:)

Feel free to private message me if you wish with questions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Why was box so utterly jacked up 9 years ago, then some new dude took over and it was cake for the next 8, and now it's totally screwed up again?
    There ya go, bub.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There is no "I" in "TEAM" Opus. We've been down this road before.

5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Ok, I’ll bite.
    WHY….in HELL….do we constantly get sent to places that box has GOT to know do not have a contractually acceptable number of empties, thereby wasting our time and money (speaking as an IC)?
    WHY…in the same place…does box send a DVIR of a supposedly empty trailer (as listed on the app) AFTER we send an exception and after we as drivers have already checked and found no empties? Usually they’re still loaded with dunnage, pallets, etc. Are we stupid? Do you think we’re stupid?

There are two to start with. Several weeks ago, during a stretch of two weeks, I figure I lost at least eight productive hours chasing empty trailers and finding none, even though there were some listed on our app.

Why is Schneider investing in all this nifty technology if it doesn’t do the drivers any good? To be brutally honest, I’m a step away from leaving the pumpkin SOLELY for this reason. Only reason I’m not gone yet has to do with a family member whose health is quite unstable at present, so I’m in a holding pattern.

But the garbage of second guessing the drivers is ###### old, as are the wild goose chases.

6. Op506

Op506 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Originally the box team wasn't what it is now.

At one time the driver leaders actually picked box locations. Another time drivers could pick locations via Qualcomm.

It was a chaotic process to fill locations and get trailers switched out. So the box team was created around that time to be dedicated to just empty trailers. Someone stepped up and took over how box would do their daily tasks and driver leaders, and drivers, would lose their ability to decide how to get drivers and customers trailers.

They pulled operations out of specific operating centers and put them all in Green Bay. Including area planning.

They associated markets to box team planners and coordinators to help find empties that are broken or costumer behavior issues.

Before the current box team - simply put = too many hands on the shipment thus confusing drivers. It's still a current issue but far less than what it was when I joined box years ago.

Hope that's at least a little bit informational

7. Aamcotrans

Aamcotrans Road Train Member

May 24, 2016
    Strasburg, Va
    However, there is an M and an E, and that’s ME!

8. Op506

Op506 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2018
    This is a lot to type about and hopefully my thumbs don't fall off!

Ok part one to this. And trust me I know the pain of coming in the morning to find support shift sending locations that are utterly useless for empties and EVEN HAVE NOTES on these locations to avoid them in the planning program. It has bee brought up for years yet they do it...

Why? If your in a market that it literally awful for trailers we have to decide 1) Send you far out of route for a good location (like really far) 2) Test the immediate locations and roll the dice.

Unfortunately it comes down to rolling the dice a lot.

And yes I do know that ic/oo thinks box does it on purpose. We do not, we do have our own metrics. We try to do the least out of route but sometimes it comes down customer behavior. Which sucks, oh I know.

I'll give you an example that just happened and irritated a lot of us.

We get contacted by customer service that a location wants their trailers removed. However I know for a FACT that this location is the most painful location I currently have in terms of giving away empties. Every day I have to get trailer exceptions that this location won't release... But customer service says they will. This happens a lot where drivers arrive and they do not release. Of course it's frustrating. I just wasted drivers time!

Then I have to escalate it with cs and my manager, which takes more time to waste! I won't make drivers wait on that, huge waste of time that you need. Yet that doesn't mean I'm removing the next driver quite yet. I have hope that CS gets their act together before the next driver. This could be a really awful market for equipment and I don't have other options.

Customer service says the location will release, use so and so's name who is on location.

Next driver says the guard refuses to cooperate.

CS says get the name of the guard.

Of course his name is "Guard"....

CS says hold on...

10 minutes go by... Ok that's long enough and I send this driver elsewhere but I don't want to pull all others off yet....

Next driver arrives. Says the guard actually told them to take TA... which is empty.

Driver hooks up...

Now the yard jockey says NOPE! I need this for loading and refuses to give another empty.

By now I'm pulling my hair out.
    And I guess CS says they are doing that to but I never believe that.

However finally cs gets through to the location and empties are released...

For that day...

The next day might as well hit reset.

Unfortunately this is how it is with so many locations. It doesn't matter that our name is on the trailer, it only matters if the entire location actually tells the right people. Which never happens and drivers are wasted time which sucks.

Part 2

Why do we send you known trailer #s when you submitted an exception?

If you send in "no empties at location" we are going to check what we see in the system and if we see empties we are going to assign you those trailers because we see them as empty.

Now if the customer is refusing to release then we need to know that which is why drivers need to send in "Location inaccessible / not releasing."

Unfortunately if the customer tells you they have none and we see them and you send in "no empties..." because the location says they have none, we don't know that which is why ultimately "location inaccessible" is the recommended option.

Schneider is testing the option for drivers, company not owner ops, to call us directly and tell us these things. It's only currently being tested out of 2 OCs. And to be honest, that's a lot of drivers calling us lol!!! This allows us the information that we are not getting or your driver leader isn't telling us.

It is unfortunate that the answer that their is a disconnect between us and drivers.

Their is also an issue now, that they are trying to fix, that trailers are flipping to empty status before unloading. And this really doesn't help us.

They are looking into new sensors for trailers and are testing them now in different trailers.

We don't really second guess, it's just the lack of information in front of us unfortunately.

Hoped that help explain something! I need to give my thumbs a break lol!

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    At the end of the thread, everyone will be required to stand and say," I am Schneider."

10. North Pole Nightmare

North Pole Nightmare Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2021
    I was driving for Schneider a few years ago.I got stuck on short hauls in New York,hired on as OTR.Got my dispatch,says go to the Falcon yard,find an empty and pick it up.Did that ,everything worked out.A week later I get a dispatch,go to the Falcon yard,pick up an empty,go to Flanders,pick up a load.I get to the Falcon yard,this time there is security there,they're not releasing any empties from here.The only empty they could find for me was at a Target,90 miles in the opposite direction I'm supposed to go.I go get it ,backtrack to Flanders,get there late but they loaded me,delivered to NJ.Side note,The Grainger DC,where I delivered to,has the best security guards I've ever dealt with.
    Signed in,they chatted a little,told me which dock to drop the trailer.I asked do you have any empties? Yes we have 4,they're the first 4 on the left as you go around the building.Awesome.
    Another trailer hunt,they send me to pick up an empty.I get there,my trailer is full of used pallets.What am I supposed to do with 100 used pallets?I can't leave there and go to my next live load like that.

11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    you are either very brave or very stupid……. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.