Schneider National Carriers - Green Bay, Wi.?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by FastFossil, Sep 14, 2005.

1. RedBeard

RedBeard Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Marianna, FL
    Yeah, I have that atlas - the laminated spiral bound one that I can write on with a dry-erase marker. Thing is, that weight was with about 50 gallons of fuel. My tanks hold 200 gallons total, and they're right behind the steer tires, under the doors. I'm sure I'm over on my steers since I filled it up. My route passed through KY, TN, MO, and AR today, and will enter TX tomorrow...

Posting from the Flying J in Texarkana, AR...
    jlanthripp

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bryman

Bryman Bobtail Member

May 4, 2006
    I am scheduled to attend Schneider's training in a couple of weeks. One issue I face is that the recruiter led me to believe that Schneider only holds you to a one year contract after training and that they pay for the training costs. After receiving their contract in the mail, I noted that you have to sign an eighteen month agreement. Additionally, the contract states that Schneider withholds $154 a month out of your paycheck for twenty-eight months to pay back training costs. I asked the recruiter about this contract and was told that it was made clear upfront that the commitment is for eighteen months and that the $154 a month paycheck withholding is ONLY if you quit before the eighteen months are up. Maybe I am missing something but a contradiction seems evident. Will somebody who drives for Schneider please help me understand? Thanks.[/b]

4. TurboTrucker

TurboTrucker Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    Information from their website STILL shows there to be a one year commitment period following training, and they STILL list that there is no cost for the training if you stay for the one year period.

This is the first indication that they have amended their policies, and the fact that they have changed their story with you, is not making matters any better. I don't like dishonesty or the changing of vital terms in the middle of a deal.

That is absolutely a glaring contradiction, and I would respectfully point it out to the recruiter.

Be sure to refer them to THIS site when you do so. I've been one of their biggest supporters, and have sent them many applicants, but they seem to be slipping in their attention to consistency, which was one of the biggest reasons why I have been standing behind them. This is the second instance of a problem that an applicant has had with them. The third will place them with down with all the other training carriers, in my book.

The $154.00 monthly deduction bothers me the most. Unless there is specific language to the effect that you will receive this money back, with interest upon completion of the service commitment period, I would back off completely. Actually, if it were me, it would give me cause to back off anyway.

I can't make your decisions, but it already appears that you have a problem with what has transpired, and quite frankly, I don't blame you.

I don't like deductions taken from paychecks, as a carrot, to persuade someone to stay with a company, in order to get it back.

I sure hope to hear back from you that they have reconsidered these two points.

Otherwise, that's strike two for them.

5. cnichols

cnichols Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Apprently the Dallas contract was changed approximately two weeks ago. However, it was not updated on the website until around the middle of this past week.

ONLY the Dallas contract requires 18 months. If you were planning on attending the Dallas Training Academy and were talking to a recruiter PRIOR to the contract being changed or the changed contract being made PUBLIC .. I'd suggest pressing the issue and seeing if you can get the 12 month contract, since that is the contract you were initially looking at.

With regards to the payment of $154.

If you go to section 6 of the contract, it states ...

There is nothing in there that states if you pass and accept employment and complete the required 'time' with SNI that you will be charged anything.

Every company has the right to 'change' policies or contracts, however, since they did not make the contract public knowledge at the time the change was made, and chose to do it at a later date, I'd suggest, again, if you are attending the DALLAS training center, push for the one you were negotiating for.

If you are attending any other training center, it's a moot point, since they are all still at 12 months.

Here is the link to ALL the contracts and other information SNI has made publically available. Process Forms

BOL

6. Bryman

Bryman Bobtail Member

May 4, 2006
    Thanks for the responses everybody. Turbo, I have already decided to walk from this situation. The recruiter made no sense when telling me they will take $154 from my paycheck ONLY if I quit prior to the eighteen months. If I quit then there will be no paycheck for them to withdraw funds. Maybe I misread that section of the contract but it seems clear to me. Clearly, the recruiter is aware of this policy or she should not have entertained my question. Thanks again everybody.

7. TurboTrucker

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    <snipped for brevity>

Thanks so much for clearing up the confusion, and for posting the relevant information. I feel much better about the situation, and assume that they had their reasons for instituting the policy change.

I'm still on board with endorsing Schneider as the only recruiting carrier worth consideration. That 18 month stretch may turn off a few people, but again, there must be some good reasons why this was done.

Are you aware as to what was behind this?

8. TurboTrucker

Feb 23, 2005
    Rossville, Georgia
    Maybe before you chuck it all in, you might want to ask to speak with another recruiter. It's highly possible that you may have encountered someone new, or a bit misinformed.

Remember that it's not what the recruiter says that is important. It's what is on the contract that counts. Cnichols seems to be clear that there are no funds taken from a driver's check for training on a monthly basis...

I think you owe it to yourself to at least try to get someone on the phone that can clear it up to your satisfaction.

What worries me is that you may consider another training carrier, and I can tell you point blank, that Schneider is as good as it gets when one is looking to exchange training for a period of commitment.

I hope that I am not the one that planted any seeds of doubt in your mind. After looking at some updates on their site, I have found that the other complaint offered in private was unfounded, but that's as much as I can offer in here.

I wish you well, and good luck whatever your decision.

9. deiseldog

deiseldog Bobtail Member

May 17, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    I'm planning to take Schneider's driving course too, 3 June 06 class in Green Bay. I just looked at my contract and it has a one year committment...not 18 months.

10. cnichols

cnichols Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Dieseldog,

That's correct. The only contract that has been changed is the Dallas contract. All the other contracts remain at the 12 month committment.

I myself have an interview on Friday and am aiming to start my training on June 10 at Greenbay as well :)

Good luck to you.

Carol

11. vectorman

vectorman Bobtail Member

May 26, 2006
    Georgia
    If you live in Georgia and go to a local community college for driver training, you might qualify for free training thru the Hope Scholarship. :D

Call the college and check it out. I've heard this is the case at Griffin Tech in Griffin Georgia.

Vectorman

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.