Schneider National Carriers - Green Bay, Wi.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by smoothoperator, Jun 16, 2005.

1. goldfinger111

goldfinger111 Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2007
    elizabethtown,ky
    HI turbo , this is really off the path of where we are on the subject, i have read about as many negatives as i have positives and learned that sometimes you just have to take the risk, and hope your right, aside from that it still scares the crap out of me to be committed to a lie or false pretense, both my wife and i want to drive team together and we have almost always worked together so were use to captiviity amongst ourselves and i can sleep anywhere, i was in the marines and im trainable, sorry back to my question , the skid pad control deal when you are at training. my wife is a good drive but she is very hesitant when she heard that you have to skid a semi on purpose, so could you tell me more about what this part of the course so she can form a more informed opinion i need all the help i can get.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    I'm going to orientation in Fontana for Schneider in two weeks.

Can anyone tell me what to expect. The recruiter told me there is a test on day one regarding trip planning logs etc...can anyone elaborate so I'm a step ahead of the ball game?

She also said that after 3 or 3 1/2 days or so they determine if you need to stay for the full 14 days of orientation/training or not. Again, I'd love some input, what specifically will determine if I stay for the full 14 or head out with a trainer?

I'll be arriving with my Class A in hand but did just get out of school. Any help on what I can study for the tests etc is greatly appreciated.

4. Barry714

Barry714 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I had no OTR experience. Went through 2 weeks at Carlisle PA for "training" and the Bulk module. It was a roach motel but everything else was good enough for me. Long days and very fast paced.

I feel that when you complete that course you have a pretty good idea of how to drive safely. The garage, shop, people were first class always getting me back out on the road fast.

The miles were not there at all. I did my math and I averaged 1800 miles a week through the months I was driving there. I could not afford to stay there any longer, 1 or 2 checks over $700 take home.

After leaving me with no next load and a wait of 8, 16, 24 hours after dropping a dirty tank, for the third time. I drove the truck bobtail back to the Gary terminal (they did not like that) packed up my stuff and left.

Training, Instructors, garage great.
    Mile$ and money not there.

Now I have the $3500 student loan to deal with at $150 a month for like forever. Tip is right being a slave to them for a year was not a hot idea. I thought I would tough it out and stay.

After a few $400 take home checks I choose to pay them $150 a month for the pleasure of working somewhere else. At least I have 6 months Chemical Tanker over the road now.

I never spilled a drop, late to a customer once (1 hour) and bumped a loading rack at a shipper (No damage). I told on myself or the company would have never known.

I am applying to a few places and out of curiosity I filled out another Schneider application, You guessed it they stated I am not re-hirable! Wow! A variety of other large company's will take me in though.

5. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    I'm one week into Schneiders training. there is no skid pad. If they do a skid pad it'll be on a simulator not in the truck.
    I'll follow up more later on my training but can honestly say it's great and I highly recommend it to others. Very thorough intense training. Not for the faint of heart.

6. bluoval351

bluoval351 Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Goldfinger FYI I went through Schneider training Academy a little over a year ago in Greenbay. They no longer use the skid pad, instead they do Skid pad training on simulators, really nothing like the real thing, more like a fun video game.

7. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes they have a skid pad
    Of course it wasnt working when my brother went through big orange

8. mlajoie

mlajoie Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Blenhiem, ON
    Just wanted to let everybody know from the Canadian aspect of new Schneider National drivers that the training is excellent. I am 2 days shy of completing the training. So far things have been awesome. The days are long and there is a lot to learn. The simulator training is a lot of fun and very beneficial. As for the way that the company has treated me since I have arrived is astronomical. The hotel is pretty decent and the Schneider is very accomidating to any requests. I would highly recommend new drivers with their CDL already to check Schneider out. Their training is top notch.

9. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    As far as I've been told,if you already have your CDL class A you do not have to sign a contract.

10. mlajoie

mlajoie Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Blenhiem, ON
    Ya thats what is nice about having my CDL already, up here in Canada they can't get you to sign the contract YET. It is int he works though. I feel bad for the American drivers that are locked into a contract because I hear that Schneider makes life miserable for them. Now that is only what I here, from first hand experiences SO FAR with SNI it seems to be like it is going to be a great company to work for.

11. pa-shocker

pa-shocker Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2007
    chambersburg, pa
    Worked for schneider also. I personelly think Swift, JBHunt, and Schneider should just merge together, that way everyone can just get screwed one big time, instead of several little times!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.