Schneider National Carriers - Green Bay, Wi.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by smoothoperator, Jun 16, 2005.

1. dnc915

dnc915 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Yeah that is what I heard from frivers that came thru Fontana. But they hated coming to fontana because they would get stuck on I-5

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DonRobbie

DonRobbie Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Midwest
    It's about 3-1 45,000 trailers, 5,000 containers, about 15,000 powers. There are adding containers at a pretty good clip and keeping trailer and power numbers pretty steady. The goal is to use trailer tracking to reduce the number of trailers they have to buy/maintain.

Schneider has admitted some real issues pertaining to trailer tracking and trailer availability, a poorly performing new directions system, as well as with the amount of miles that were available in the first part of 2005 (in part stemming from poor service performance which in turn led to less freight being given to Schneider by customers). I appreciate them being straight about the issues that have come up.

If he was with Schneider 4 months and if he was meeting safety and service standards he was probably with his "permanent" STL (Service Team Leader) who has 40 or more drivers to keep track of. The STL is basically a Customer Service Rep who takes passes information back and forth between the driver and the various parts of the organzation. So if the driver is having issues the STL can explain the rules and can make some small decisions (authorizing reimbursement for expenses etc) but mostly will be in turn asking someone else to fix it. With a lot of drivers to take care of it's easy to lose track of all the issues. To some extent the driver is dependent on how good of an STL he has and also on making enough noise to be keep his problems on the STL's radar. If you just do your thing you can spend too much time sitting or on bad loads.

Miles can be hard to come by out West from what I have heard. I ran in the Midwest and East mostly and averaged about 2300 miles a week starting out. I know if you wind up on the left coast you tend to run up and down I-5 until they need to free up some rail space and you can catch a load going East.

I think Schneider is a good company (I have been with em two years) but they aren't perfect. The turnover is high but not all of that is the company. A lot of it is the lifestyle and the stress of the job (time pressure, driving, money). Many will leave the industry. Many will hop to another carrier as soon as they can. Some folks do have a bad time because somebody in the company mistreats them but most folks have self inflicted issues.

4. skullitor

skullitor Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    I run east, mostly new england to PA area,mostly.

5. PortlandDriver

PortlandDriver RIP, May You Be Heaventown Bound!

May 30, 2005
    Pacific Northwest
    The trouble I saw was when I was on the "truck rail" division, trailers were being lost and loads not being delivered on time because the trailers were being lost or sent to the wrong rail yard. The tracking was at best lousy...

6. skullitor

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Not anymore.Most trailers have GPS installed.

7. craiger

craiger Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2006
    ill always have a warm spot in my heart for schneider. they hired me when another company wouldnt(super service sent me home because i couldnt shift their super 10 shifter) i explained my problem(im stupid and cant shift). and schneider said that would be no problem because they would send me to a school that would teach me to shift. C-1 in indianapolis is a great school and i learned to shift. (if you have an issue C-1 will work with you on it). schneider is a great company but they have their share of problems because they are so large.yes, looking for trailors is bi*** and be sure to check the trailor out befor you take it. like a dummy i pulled a trailor off a lot and the tandoms wouldnt move.ugh! all the way back they were and in city driving to boot. weigh stations have stops that you can park in and try to move the things but no such luck for me. they wouldnt budge. anyway, the story large companies have issues with trailors. i quit schneider to return to college and after a year in iraq i am returning to truck driving. the pay is way up but i still may consider schneider again as they did take care of me. they are a safe company with nice terminals. good luck to all,...craiger

8. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Alabama ... WAR EAGLE
    Holy crap ... they haven't changed! I worked gfor them for 7 years, ending in 1999. We always fought to get home. ALWAYS! The only decent job with them is a local job, and then don't plan on making a good living.

9. DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Alabama ... WAR EAGLE
    OK, I'll give that to them. I did like their terminals.

10. skullitor

Aug 5, 2005
    New England
    Some O.C.'s are being updated, I'm told. Work to start soon.

11. chrisp

chrisp Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Ok, Here is my story. ........ I don't have one. I've never driven a truck. I don't have a CDL !

I have a good paying job in aviation. :shock: Problem is I'm tired of it. I'm 48 and need a change. How much $$ can I make if I go to Schneider and drive Team ?
    I have good friend who is making crap in a home center (orange also) I think it will be a step up for him for sure and maybe I can break even or even make some . Its not all about the money for me.

Tell me the GOOD news ! Schneider looks good to me. But I'm used to working for a living . I started at the BOTTOM and worked my way UP !

Looked into Stevens, Prime, England, etc. The driver mills. Going Team seems to be the way to avoid the low $ per mile for starters.

I'll get my helmet and body armour on and you can let me have it. :lol:

Orange seems like it shouls really stand out when on a trailer search :shock:

:twis :twisted: ted:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.