Schneider National Carriers - Green Bay, Wi.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by smoothoperator, Jun 16, 2005.

1. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    LMAO!!! I was thinking the along the same lines......

Most all companies govern their trucks to a set speed, and most all are under 65mph for better fuel consumption. I mean, if you have a fleet of 15,000 trucks, and over the corse of 1 year, they all average better by 1mpg @60mph than 70mph (and most will do better) then that will save said company well over a million dollars a year of pure profit. Now if you have any business skills what-so-ever you would be a complete fool not to do this. I sure know 99.9% of people would, but not as many dirvers would cux they are not paying for the fuel, so it means nothing to them. hence why they are steering wheel holders and not professionals...... speed does not mean #### in this business.

Unless you are driving non-stop (no stopping for fuel, food, potty..I mean NOTHING) for 700 miles then going 65mph is only going to get you to said place 1 hour sooner than going 60mph. Now add in a potty break or fueling stop and that hour is now pointless as it will very with how long you are stopped.
    Now I know you are going to say "well what if my appoint is 1hr sooner and I need to be there"... well then you should have made better plans or routing. There is no reason you should ever not-make an appointment unless it was something you couldn't control like your dispatcher screwing up the apt time, or a random highway shut-down. Traffic is no excuse either, as if you know your going thru Chicago, ATL or a major city, then you should have allowed an extra hour to get thru said city.

Just trying to make you guys understand how the $$$ side works here. I am an O/O and I run my truck at 60mph on a dedicated run. At 65mph I get 1mpg less due to the specs of my truck, but that 1mpg saves me an extra $400 a week in my pocket. Don't know about you, but that $400 can be spent on much better things than fuel out the stack just to save less than 1hr of driving. Hell, $400 is more than some guys make in a week!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HwyPilot

HwyPilot Medium Load Member

May 31, 2008
    Northern Georgia
    I completely agree on the fuel savings, and it's not illegal to run under the posted speed limit (most are a 40mph minimum). Personally I think they should go further, and have active speed governing - I've seen alot of big fleet trucks fly right on through a working construction zone without slowing down at all.

I'm an O/O, and I have my truck governed at 75mph for safety. The jakes come on at 5 over that regardless of what the driver does, so it's nearly impossible for my truck to do over 80mph (even though it's geared to run triple digits). The fact is that heavy truck radials are only speed rated to 75 in the best case, and IMO all trucks should be governed to a 75mph max by law.

The science in trucking is all about fuel efficiency these days, it used to be a small issue at $1.50/gal but now looking at $4+/gal it's the law. Wind resistance is a larger concern than weight, I've actually had to run out of route before because of a headwind pushing me under 5mpg while deadheading (30k pounds truck and trailer - normally near 11mpg). The slower you run, the less wind you're fighting - simple. Regardless of the specs of a truck, any piece of equipment will get better mpg with less wind resistance. My truck and trailer has run 5.9mpg average at 70mph, and 6.4mpg at 63 - which speed do you think I'll run it?

Whatever the cost, I still feel there's absolutely no reason for a truck to ever run over 75mph. At least not until they figure out a better way to stop them, and keep tires from coming apart. Years ago I hated taking family on road trips because of "cowboy truckers" tailgating and passing me at 80+ mph. A few times they were so close behind I couldn't see the license plate on their bumper, and that should be tried as attempted murder.

4. mudkicker

mudkicker Bobtail Member

May 15, 2011
    walters,ok
    im a pumpkin driver and i drove 1600 mi last week and guess what my paycheck totaled ? : $51.28 , 2 lumpers @ 150.00 and 1 lumper @ 200.00 and i havent gotten reimbursed on this check for those expenses , im stuck in little rock on a restart and broke and wondering how im gonna survive through the next week on the road, how about that......:biggrin_25513:

5. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    Sorry to hear about that... Keep your spirits up, some point in time we all have a bad week.

6. TruckerGsch

TruckerGsch Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    With a big company like that why would it have to come out of your check?

7. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If you use your Comdata card (except for fuel at approved locations) or a Com check Schnieder will take it out of your check until you send in the receipt. No receipt, no reimbursement. Think of all the fiddles that a 'seasoned driver' could pull if he didn't have to provide receipts for things he charged to the company.:biggrin_25523:

Most of the time this isn't a problem - scan your BOL and expense receipts within 24 hours of delivery and expenses won't even make it onto your pay summery. The problem is when you have expenses on loads that deliver Thursday or Friday and you don't get the BOL scanned until after the cutoff (depends week to week but usually 3 CST) when the pay checks are written. Then you're waiting until next week's check.

8. Nakmuay

Nakmuay Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2010
    chattanooga tn
    if you're company driver you don't have to pay for lumpers most places have a Schneider account and they charge Schneider directly but you have to send a Mac to your dbl to get an express code then do another Mac forget which 1 to give them that barcode that you put on those trip packs

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

9. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Never did mine, just used comcheks and followed the rules.

10. TruckerGsch

TruckerGsch Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    Its been since 03 but if I remember right you have to get approved to use a lumper. So what is the difference between emergency fuel and a lumper.?

11. mudkicker

mudkicker Bobtail Member

May 15, 2011
    walters,ok
    it does and they reimburse you for it but like the other driver said you got to get the paperwork transflowed on a certain day ,and i missed the window ,LOL but that's ok im at the pilot and its got western union ,after i dropped my load in searcy,ar i had 1 hr and no trailer to pick up so i bobtailed it to little rock I40 e to the pilot with 15 minutes left on my 70 , hehehehe :biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.