Schneider Oil Field Truck Driver Jobs/ The Texas shales and beyond

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Jun 4, 2012.

1. MadMax17

MadMax17 Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yo Big Duker,
    Any advice for me? I work 12 hrs driving a taxi in Vegas (glamorous yes, pays; yes... but..) I've got almost 18mos. exper otr from 2006-'08. I'm getting my CDL back in a couple of days (after 4 yrs gone> dui). Now about to move to Midland Tx end of THIS week & hit the bricks WHILE THERE!

Ive read a lot of blogs, will go for certain deals... what's your take on my past experience but reincarnated 'newbie' situation???

(ps; I know that the big boys will not touch me until 5 yrs. has passed, but I'm sure there are many that still have the 3 yr. rule too!!!)

MadMax thanks you in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Longknocker

Longknocker Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2011
    williston,ND
    Get on a frac crew and make some big coin:biggrin_255:

4. Longknocker

Dec 12, 2011
    williston,ND
    Well said...............

superpet39 Thanks this.
  5. Justwant2work

Justwant2work Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2013
    Big Duker-- I like the brashness. No harm done. I get out and meet these companies when I can. And so far, the experience thing has been the hang up. I am not giving up and with only 4 or 6 more months of hauling flat, reefer or dry van I will be in a better position. Beides, texas is mighty big and 'getting out and shaking hands' takes a lot of gas money! No job, No money.... Thanks though.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  6. brycey1

brycey1 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2007
    palm bay , florida
    Ok, let me clear this up for you, I started with Schneider 6 months ago here in tx/nm, the rate i was on was $233 a day salary, on call 24/7, its very rare you will get 2 loads of sand done in a 14hr day, SNL has changed their pay as of 3/31/2013, no more salary, you are on call and if you do not work one day they will pay you $100 as long as you call in and say your available, as far as all the other complicated parts of the new pay i wont even go into it, the bottom line is pay reduction, that is why all of the new mexico drivers have left, and most of the tx drivers too, snl will not even give you the details of the pay package in writing, those are facts however they are changing stuff all the time, I would however if you are stuck finding a job out here and are new to the oil fields consider this as an option to get out here and get some experience. I do not like doing sand, so i am now hauling crude, if your fit and a hard worker there are many jobs here where you can make big $$$ but you will work long hours, the average pay here in nm for hauling crude is $22-25 an hour and you will get 60+ hours a week, Midland and odessa are very expensive for accommodation, most people bring or buy an rv which is the most economical way to live unless a few people rent a house together, and even then housing can be hard to find, so my advice is this, if you have less than 2 years experience snl or one of the other low paying companies is a good way to get your foot in the door, if you have 3yrs experience or more, you can come out here and find work easily, although expect 2 to 4 weeks to get through the hiring process, you need hazmat/tanker and good driving record, sorry if my grammer is not great, a little tired here......good luck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. MadMax17

MadMax17 Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Brycey, this is what us Newbies are trying to figure out... thanks for nailing it on the head !!! I am finishing up my "getting my cdl back" and sure that it will be rough the first round, this tells me "HOW ROUGH" to expect... thanks bro !!!
    I am a hard working guy, just looking for the right opportunity when I get to Mid/Odess next week. I know my CDL will offer "Limited opportunity", how bout the manual labor jobs??? Roughnecking pay $5-8k per mo.??? (long hrs ok)?!?!?!
    Your input offers a slap of reality for the current situation.

God Bless ya dude

Maximus

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    superpet39 Thanks this.
  8. Longknocker

Dec 12, 2011
    williston,ND
    That doesnt surprise me a bit.,theyre going to run off good drivers and take chances with inexperienced drivers thinking they can cut pay and rates and aquire more contracts by cutting rates but in the long run lose contracts by inexperienced drivers doing stupid things and pissin people off..........which is why I say they will never make it in the oilfield longterm.............:biggrin_25513:

9. Justwant2work

Apr 15, 2013
    Brycey1-- That was a great reality check for me and I so much thank you for your time to explain what the real deal is. I have been offered a flatbed job in central Texas that will be mostly regional and OTR in nature (high end of $1200/week average, as per the owner). I think I will be taking it, get my tanker, hazmat and a few more months under my belt. I can save for that RV as well, since I will be needing it anyway. So the plan is to drive the skateboard till December, continue to do research on various outfits in southern Texas for frac rig work/driving opportunities. Head to Mexico for the winter and then return for oilfield driving in the spring of '14. It is good to be single. Be safe. And thanks again.

superpet39 Thanks this.
  10. brycey1

brycey1 Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2007
    palm bay , florida
    have to be quick, off to work, yes there are plenty of site jobs here which also require you to have a cdl, some people doing 100hrs a week, be prepared to knock on doors, you will see billboards along i20 showing jobs, but nearly everyone is hiring, frac is maybe the most common job out here, remember hotels are expensive too here, good safety record and clear background over the last 3-10 yrs is important too.
    good luck
    Rich
    Schneider is hiring, i believe $2700 sign on fee, although i would say last resort for them

11. Justwant2work

Apr 15, 2013
    I applied to Schneider and they quoted a $150/day compensation package to haul sand. It is an ON CALL position with no overtime and no guarantee of 40 hours per week. I'll be driving a flatbed come Friday. Regional and OTR for a few more months.

Thanks for all of your input. Very much appreciated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.