Schneider Trainers - questions...

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by MBAngel, Sep 23, 2018.

1. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Since we will be running team, there shoulnd't be much problem with hos, except the 70/34 thing. We're not rule breakers, because it'll cost us our cdl that we've worked hard for. Thank you guys for the reassurance that a week should be enough, and if it isn't, we should be able to get another week or so. I'd think our trainer would be helpful in figuring out if we need more help or not.
    I saw on the Schneider site that they have a rating system for customers so that drivers can suggest things to make their interactions better. One thing I see a lot of ppl complain about on this forum is the wait time to get loaded or unloaded, and how that affects their hos. It was good to see a carrier willing to address those issues. Is that working out for you?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    They do on the mobile app..you can rate every customer and put comments in too..

4. mickimause

mickimause Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Central Michigan
    If you are as serious as you appear to be, a week will be plenty. The TE is not there to teach you how to drive - you're supposed to know that already. They are there to verify that you are safe, give you pointers you may not have thought about, teach you the Schneider way (do they still call it Schneiderizing?), and pour more orange koolaid down your throat.
    Do the week in separate trucks as suggested earlier, for the reasons suggested. Compare notes. Ask questions. This forum can be an invaluable resource, as you have likely already discovered. The best advice I got was "Be a sponge. Soak up everything you can."

I left Big Orange 4 years ago, but still keep in touch with my trainer, and the drivers I know on here. I would without hesitation recommend Schneider to new drivers. Everyone has to start somewhere, and of the megas, they're the least horrible! ;)

5. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    We are debating on the topic of going with separate trainers. A week is not a long time. This 6 to 8 weeks other companies require is definitely too long. We may leave it up to the training center in phx, after orientation. They'll see then how much we are the other half of each other, and how well we work together. Not many couples do as well as we do at being together 24/7. Then, those who should know best can decide.
    We do know how to drive, and we have nothing on our records, so I have faith that we can move the truck from A to B and not hit things. We goal, and pre-trip well. Our backing skills among our fellow students were good. I'm just concerned I guess about the snow coming, and how that affects driving with a semi, and if I'll get the chance to confront that in my training. I also worry about the high passes like wolf creek and the like.
    The recruiter said we'd be driving automatics. I'm wondering how that is affected by snow, and if a week is enough to get the wisdom to do this stuff safely. How do we handle downhills with an automatic? I hear that we can specify a gear and it'll stay there, like in an automatic car, you can put it in low.
    And believe me, there will be a lot of sponging going on. I watch vids and read tons as it is. I'll be looking for backing practice every chance I get. It's hugely different backing between cones 12 feet apart, and backing between trucks parked crooked and tight.
    I have questions about the trucks... What kind of things are built in, like refrigerators, apus, etc. If not, can we have them installed? Do they allow smoking in the truck? Is it likely to get a trainer who smokes or allows smoking in the truck?
    I am so excited to finally be doing this. I've wanted to drive trucks for a looooooong time. I really do NOT want to screw this up right off the bat. Slow and cautious will be my mantra. The best piece of advice I've found on these forums is "You can do it too slow a million times, but too fast just once."

mickimause Thanks this.
  6. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Team trucks have fridges, but no apus. The new p4 cadcadias storage space is minimal, but workable.

Smoking is allowed. They will try and match you with a smoking trainer, but no guarantees .

MBAngel Thanks this.
  7. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    We intend to keep our personal stuff to a minimum. There are so many reasons to have to clean out your truck, and it's just easier to keep clean when you don't have a lot of "stuff". My son has a house with a huge storage capacity, and he's agreed to allow us to ship stuff back that we collect over time. We do enjoy our laptops though, so I'm hoping they allow us to have some power installed, lol.

mickimause Thanks this.
  8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    You'll have a 1500 wat inverter

MBAngel Thanks this.
  9. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Yay! Thanks for all the advice. I am so excited to be joining you guys on the road.

10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    This should give you pointers on how to operate the dt12 auto the frieghtliners..

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    thought the fleet was coming with apu's now? seem to recall radio ads stating as much for teams.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.