Schneider Trainers - questions...

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by MBAngel, Sep 23, 2018.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Solo yes, team no for now.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    thinking about it it does make sense. truck shouldnt be shut down long enough to need that power option.

MBAngel Thanks this.
  4. MBAngel

MBAngel Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Oh, I didn't even think about that, lol. So many benefits to team driving, lol.

5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    My perspective on training apart rather than together is this, you both must become experts and capable of performing the job independently. You made one troubling comment earlier, "They'll see then how much we are the other half of each other, and how well we work together."

There is nothing wrong with being able to work together well or being able to be in each other's company 24/7, that is admirable, however you both must be able to do the entire job independently. I have a good friend that has been a team driver almost her entire career and when her partner left her she was lost. Ended up settling for anybody that would take the seat which is not a good position to be in. What happens if one of you is injured or sick, does the whole world stop?

I am in complete agreement with the other replies about comparing notes and experiences when training separately. One week, even two or three apart is not much in the grand scheme of things.

mickimause Thanks this.
  6. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    We are considering just letting the "experts" at our employer decide if we should train together or separately. A week doesn't seem really long, and it feels like it'd be "unreasonable" to demand to be trained together if the experts think we'd do better apart.
    Our plan when on the road is to each "do our 12". Split the day in half, and have regular schedules, and anything that happens in my 12, I handle, and the same for him. I do my own backing, and handling of customers, and driving, and pre-trips, and breakdowns. Maybe we'll flip schedules on our 34's so each of us gets equal experience dealing with customers and night driving. So, we already have the concept of "owning" the job for ourselves.

7. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Ok, so a couple more questions.
    What hotel do they put you in for orientation? Do they have us come in the sunday night before? I saw one that looks to be the closest and they actually advertise with pics of dirty beds and rooms... ew. I might opt for a different hotel that I pay for myself.
    Do they have a trucker gps in the truck? If not, which should I buy?
    forward cameras? side cameras? driver camera? If not, which 3 cam set should I buy?
    Sirius?

Is there a nifty backup camera I can buy that temporarily attaches to the back of whatever trailer I have? Do you think it would help?

8. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The first two questions your recruiter will need to answer.

Team trucks do have xm radio.

Navigo works just fine for me, but plenty of other drivers use a Garmin or Rand Mcnally in parralell . Use Navigo for the last few miles into a customer.

All new trucks have an outward facing dashcam. If you want your own, get a gopro. I have not seen any good side facing camera setups that do not require some install (ie drilling holes or splicing wires) that would violate company policy. Putting a back up camera on the rear of the trailer is more trouble than it is worth. You'll be backing up enough that your skills will soon surpass the need for training wheels.

9. MBAngel

Apr 1, 2018
    Tucson, Arizona
    Awesome! Thank you for the answers :)
    I want to get the trucker gps with the best maps, to have the fewest mistakes, lol, but I know that a paper map is the first step, gps a secondary tool.

I guess I was hoping that the three cam system would be like, magnetic mounted so I could remove them for some situations, like military bases or something.

I also have a partner to help me back, but I just thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a cam back there to be sure I'm sure, lol. GOAL is always the best bet, but again, a secondary tool could be useful.

10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Like @gentleroger said about the navigo..it will generally lead you to the driveway for the truck entrances...so use it especially that last few miles in into customer

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    I'd recommend the large print version of the Atlas, its spiral bound and easier to read flat for planning.

on GPS most new ones are android based, go larger screen for those. font is super tiny. Be better served with a 7 in gps or 8 inch tablet.

mickimause, BlueThunderr and MBAngel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.