Schneider training March 15th, Carlisle PA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JasonTrucker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. JasonTrucker

JasonTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Well today was backing, what nightmare. 45 degree backing, need mucho practice, exhausted, going to bed . . .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. greentrucker

greentrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    good luck man, once you get the fundamentals youll be good. i was a little overwhelmed when i first driving straight trucks in school to.

4. kd5giv

kd5giv Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Norman, Oklahoma
    Where are all their training locations? I don't have a CDL, but I would rather be in the south somewhere. Texas or Oklahoma would be nice.

5. greentrucker

greentrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Connecticut

They have training in Dallas, Tx

6. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Ok yesterday did 45 degree backing all day and got a lot better, learning how to pull up and straighten her out seems to be the key. Today was all class with the instructor Carl for the bulk guys, not a real friendly guy really, very moody actually. In class we went over trip planning, qualcom, and map reading.

My confidence has def. jumped since I improved my backing, that was def. my sticking point.

I've been going out to eat regularly and trying to enjoy myself a little to reward myself. So far the best place to eat in the area has been a place called fire mountain, all you can eat buffet for 10.99. It's 5 miles past schneider.

Well just 4 more days to graduation, then right off to pittsburgh for bulk training and then finally home for 1-2 days. Can't wait to get some home time in . . .

7. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Thanks for the input, i eventually want copilot, i heard you can rig them in your passenger seat somehow. have to figure that out.

8. TankerYanker

TankerYanker Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Covington, La
    Hello Jason. I thought I would post a reply to say Congrat. I understand how you feel. Im down here in Dallas Texas. Im in my first week. I started training here Saturday, March 22. So, far every thing has been great. I've been passing all of my Check for Learnings. Today was my first day out on the road with a TE in the truck and trailor. Now..as far as my background I have no Truck Driving exp at all. The first pass was rough going thru the gears. I felt my TE and myself were going to be ejected from the truck. My inst was so cool and calm during all the rocking and rolling. Once I got the feel of the working part of the clutch and the rpm speed, everything went great...At one point it was very quiet in the truck.. My TE finally said, "man I'm about to fall asleep." :biggrin_25518: That made me feel good. All in All today was great. After completing training here I wil be going back to my home state Reserve, Louisiana for Bulk training. I want to wish you luck with your training and who knows, when were done maybe we'll meet at an OC or Tank washing station. Good luck buddy and Keep us posted. :biggrin_25514:

9. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    Oh, I'm okay with this stuff. I just went back to a local company... One where they not only know my name, but use it when addressing me.:biggrin_25521::biggrin_25520:

The Big S can't do that with most drivers and that's one small problem for me anyway. I had gone to another major company and have learned from my mistake.

I was trying Schneider because a friends' husband worked there for nearly 8yrs. Since then, he's moved on too. After all that time, the company decided he could no longer take his truck home for home time. He lives 4hrs from the nearest terminal... He couldn't stand it any longer and went with... Eh, won't bother to say here.

Hope you're having fun with the tanks now. Seems like you're doing well.

10. OhioTruckin

OhioTruckin Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    This sparked a question in my brain. I'm planning on applying at Schneider once I get my license. Does anyone know of their current policy on how close you have to live to a terminal in order to get hired and/or take your truck home? I live about an hour and a half from the nearest terminal (Seville/Akron, Ohio). Is that an acceptable distance? I thought it was a little far at first and I was going to have to move closer pretty quickly if I get hired by them, but then RobW mentioned that guy that lived 4 hrs. away and at one point in time did work for them and was allowed to take his truck home (until near the end of his 8 years).

11. BigD

BigD Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2006
    GA, USA
    I wouldn't worry that much about it. With OTR and a normal system program you aren;t going to be seeing home all that much anyway. You'll be in the truck for a few weeks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.