Schneider training March 15th, Carlisle PA

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by JasonTrucker, Mar 5, 2008.

1. JasonTrucker

JasonTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Well my driving is steadily improving everyday. A lot of your success will be determined by your instructor, there is one specific bad instructor who uses intimidation and pressure which only overwhelms the students. I'm lucky not to have him, my friend got switched to him and is now going down hill and thinking about quitting, otherwise he was steadily improving before this guy. Honestly, I can't wait to this is over at this point, most of the teachers/instructors are simply unfriendly people and think they are helping you by pressuring or yelling. The best policy is to be quiet, play along, and just do your work so you can slip on through.

I've completed the driving portion, now I just have to pass some more tests and do a trip planning assignment. Can't wait to see home next week . . . This has been a roller coaster and I made a good friend in the process.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    My friend was usually out 4-6wks with them. When they changed policy and decided he couldn't take the truck home anymore, he was rather upset. I can't blame him either. Afterall, over 7yrs with the company should hold some meaning. He and I agreed, that's a bunch of fuel and so forth, but to simply take away a privilege without warning just seems overboard. It then cost him 8hrs of driving and over $100 in fuel alone just to get to work. Even once a month or two is too often to spend so much time and money out of pocket so that you can do a job for someone else for under $.40 a mile. I don't know his actual pay, but I think he was only at $.38pm. The company he went to started him at $.42 or 3 and allows him to take the truck home as he had done in the past.

To me it would be a big deal, as it was to him. I was just shocked they'd let someone go so easily after all those yrs. He's a million miler. Ya don't just wave them off and gain ground.

Still, he doesn't badmouth the company and said if not for that change, he'd not even know how much more he was worth. He'd have stayed where he was because he wasn't really unhappy. He was used to the system, etc.

4. jasonb

jasonb Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    SE PA
    It is interesting to me to read stories of how long term employees with the bigger companies still get no respect. My trainer had 6 years with Roehl and they treated him like he was a newbie. He was frustrated, but stayed with them because trainers make decent $$.
    And I'm still trying to figure out how Swift has any drivers given their punative pay scale. The more the mileage the less the rate per mile? Give me a break.
    Sort of like the remodeling industry. Too many people willing to work for too little. So you cannot make a decent living doing it unless you work yourself to death.
    I am not a pro union guy, but maybe it is time to re-think that position. It appears that many if not most pro drivers are being taken advantage of.

5. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Well I graduated from the STA in Carlisle on Friday and am now in Coraopolis PA for two days of training on only bulk, so I'm officially a schneider employee now and will recieve pay checks. I luckily got another single room, this time for free.

Today we unloaded and loaded the tanks, no more tests thank god. I'm so exhausted it's not even funny and the instructors seem to enjoy taking full of advantage of their authority over you and your exhaustion, crazy!

My one Bulk friend dropped out and went to Van, he'll have to come back all next week to take the van classes, he was 2 days away from graduating, but all the pressure got to him. Made another friend in Bulk who is similar to me and just wants to focus and get this over with, we ate out at the cracker barrel tonight and had a nice meal.

Tomorrow I will drive home and conclude this very challenging 2 weeks. The positive of this stressful environment is that it brings you closer to certain students (not the negative smart #####, avoid them at all costs), you become like family and form a bond.

Night!

6. capnhector

capnhector Light Load Member

i went through green bay 6 months ago now (does not seem that long) and only about 50% of my graduating class are still with schneider (that's 50% of the people who graduated) heard from one and they are going after him for the tuition so stick it out or be prepared to write them a check.

7. OhioTruckin

OhioTruckin Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey, JasonTrucker. I was just curious about something. I heard that Schneider bulk students have to go to the main bulk training facility in Texas for a few weeks. I've been keeping up with your posts (I think. Haha.) and I don't recall you going to Texas. Are you totally done with training and did I hear wrong about Texas? I sure hope I did, 'cause I want to get with bulk, but I really don't want to go to Texas for five weeks. I would rather just go to the van division. Haha. Thanks! Keep up with the posts!

8. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    Never had to go to Texas. Just two days to Pittsburgh, which was the nearest bulk yard to the class. I'm done!!!!

I go out with my TE on Wednesday, I found out my TE was the TE of the year for Schneider so hopefully he's a reasonable man. I felt more like I was pledging a fraternity in bulk, the material is easy but psychologically they like to make it hard on all the guys. For specifics please PM me and I'd be happy to answer any questions from anyone.

9. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ

Are you saying they are going after the tuition for those who are still currently employed with Schneider? I plan to stick it out.

10. OhioTruckin

OhioTruckin Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Cleveland, OH
    Awesome! Thanks, JasonTrucker. I'm just a few hours away from Pittsburgh, so that's a relief to me. Didn't really want to give up on bulk. Haha.

Keep these posts comin'. I assume you're going to continue posting about the time you have with your trainer and then your solo driving experience?

11. JasonTrucker

Feb 26, 2008
    Caldwell, NJ
    To my fellow pumpkin head, i just switched from verizon air card to sprint because sprint is unlimited, which is nuts. Sprint offers schneider employees 15% off the monthly fee, just wanted to pass that along.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.