Schneider

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Taker11, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Taker11

Taker11 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Michigan
    I got a job offer from schneider, I have zero experience from MI , graduated like 2 months ago. I did apply for a few companies but no one replied, so the offer is .43cpm about 1800 miles a week. it's a dedicated route for one company and I have to live 65 miles from the location here in MI which i do home time can either be every 2 weeks or every week and cant be week ends if its every week i get 1.5 days to 2 days. the recruiter checked my back ground and everything the same day I applied and everything was good. and gave me a date before the end of this month to start orientation in Indiana the drive is 4 hours, and they'll reimburse me with gas money. The orientation is for 19 days and those 19 days include the last few days where you will be with a trainer and after the 19 days u get ur truck. So now it's all up to me to show up he said he'll be in touch like twice a week to make sure I'm still interested, what do you guys think? I have zero experience and really Wana start should I go for it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    With the current state of the industry and so many companies tightening the reins on the quality of driver that they hire I would take this opportunity to get my first job in trucking and make the absolute best of it. Learn as much as you can. Ask your trainer questions. If there is anything that you do not understand ask someone. This industry can be very humbling to new drivers. The first time that you are attempting to back into a dock or a parking spot at a truck stop and you feel like everyone is staring at you and you keep messing up you will want to slump down in the seat and hide. It's really easy to get yourself down and feeling bad when you feel like you can't do anything right. Turn those situations into learning situations.

Always remember to G.O.A.L

GET OUT AND LOOK

If at anytime you are unsure about backing up, get out and look. Do not let your mirrors or your mind convince you that you are in the right position and your not going to hit anything. Get out and verify. Analyze the situation. These types of habits will allow you to build a solid reputation as a good, safe driver and it will allow you to build upon your future.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to trucking.

Also, left door closed and rubber side down makes money.

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Schneider veteran here.....

....some "beginner" footnotes for you:
    • Depending on your recruiter, you may (or may not) be asked/assigned to an account that is dedicated to any of the so-called "dollar" stores: Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, etc. AVOID THOSE JOBS!!!! Tell the recruiter (if that's in fact the case): "No, thank you -- what else is available?" Those jobs are TERRIBLE CHOICES FOR ROOKIE DRIVERS!!!
    • If you do in fact decide to drive for Schneider -- one BIG ADVANTAGE that you will have there that you won't in most other places is that after spending 6 months in one account or freight type, you can (with a satisfactory track record) transfer over to another account or another type of freight (assuming they are running different freight types in/near your location). This gives you an INCREDIBLE OPPORTUNITY to gain experience with different types of freight -- and all WITHOUT CHANGING YOUR EMPLOYER!!! Before leaving Schneider all-together: seriously consider simply changing accounts and/or freight types. Given how sorry the current job market is for new(er) drivers, this is a FAR SUPERIOR MOVE right now -- as opposed to chasing greener pastures, elsewhere.
    • As a driver with less than a year of experience -- if you leave a Schneider tractor for more than about 3 days -- BE SURE TO TAKE ALL OF YOUR BELONGINGS WITH YOU. Don't ask me how I learned this....:(
    • As you begin your trucking journey with Schneider (aka, the "Big Orange") -- in the beginning you will spend a fair amount of time with/around what they call their "training engineers". These people will later prove to be some of the most professional and knowledgeable you will meet within the entire industry. LEARN ALL YOU CAN (WHILE YOU CAN) FROM THEM.....o_O
    • Be sure to ask (during your training) about "stop work authority." Learn it. Know it. Use it.

Hope some of the above helps.....

-- L

5. Taker11

Taker11 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Michigan
    Yea backing up was hard, but in School I learned to love it and always tried to master it, once you feel your semi and get used to it it's kind of fun, the thing that confused me about this offer even though I should have talked to him about because we spoke for an hour but it went off my head is the 0.43 not even sure if its 0.43 or 0.42, but the job states 970- 1180 weekly, I'm doing the math if its 0.43 cpm, that's around 800 for 1800 miles a week, or I'm I missing something? like some other pay they give you? its 100% no touch 25% drop and hook.

Freddy57 Thanks this.
  6. Taker11

Taker11 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Michigan
    Yes he said the orientation that is 19 days, first few days class, next week or week and a half is the yard teaching us about the trucks and stuff, last 5 days will be with a trainer doing real loads, then go home for like 2 days then receive my truck, so the orientation in total with the trainer is 19 days which is not bad, i don't want a trainer for like 2 months giving me hell on the road with testosterone levels all over the place. and your right after few months I will be looking for another account of course, and the dedicated account is for Cabela's what do you think?

Freddy57 Thanks this.
  7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    I've never delivered to most of Schneider's current clientele (Cabella's, Harley-Davidson, etc) -- but I would think that Cabela's SHOULD BE a far superior situation to ANY OF THOSE "DOLLAR" STORE NIGHTMARES. :confused:

If Cabela's is only 25% drop & hook -- that means it's 75% live load/unload. That means you'll spend a fair amount of time sitting at a dock somewhere, waiting. You should be paid something for all that wait time. Find out what this "detention" pay will be, and when it starts (it usually starts an hour or two after you park at the dock).

If somehow you aren't getting ANY DETENTION PAY for all that waiting -- then ask your recruiter for another job/account. Home Depot is a good one; Lowe's is another (if they still have contracts there).

I stayed at Schneider for about 2 years, before leaving.

If you can stay there that long (using the above-listed suggestions to maximize your time spent there) or even longer -- subsequent employers will really appreciate your tenure length with your first CDL employer.

Been there, seen that......;)

-- L

FullMetalJacket, Freddy57 and Taker11 Thank this.
  8. Taker11

Taker11 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Michigan
    Thank you I will ask him about detention pay I'm guessing that's how it averages to that pay because there is no way you can make over 1k with 1800 miles a week at 0.43 cpm my calculator proved it lol. and my plan is getting my truck after a year or so of experience. maybe start with amazon relay. I heard its beginner friendly you just need some experience in trucking but the money and cpm is good for owner operators and you can do local or regional it will be your choice because Ur booking the load. so, I already started saving up and hopefully after a year or so I can do that put a down payment and get my own truck, but after 6 months hopefully everything goes well, I will ask for another account. I will stay longer that a year even if they give me a good account later with good pay.

Freddy57 Thanks this.
  9. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    FYI: most other seasoned drivers here on the Forum will very likely agree with me when I tell you that a year's time is not really enough to think about buying/leasing your own truck, and going into business for yourself.

Right now -- truck expenses are sky high, and the rates the world are paying are ridiculously low -- so your odds of success (even if you already know all the other ropes) are incredibly poor. :(

Suggestion: remain a company driver, sample different types of freight while still at Schneider (Schneider now does about everything except car-hauling & specialized liquid hazmat), decide which one(s) you like best....and THEN maybe start thinking about getting your own truck.

-- L

FullMetalJacket, Bud A., Numb and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Taker11

Taker11 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2023
    Michigan
    Thanks I'll keep that in mind, nervous a little this is a new step in my life and a new experience hopefully I'll be ok.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.