Schneider's wacky Work Assignment procedures?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by S3NTYN3L, Jun 26, 2010.

1. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    OK, so as I stated in another thread, I JUST start with Schneider National.

While I did just fine with the weird work assignments procedure during orientation, I'm now really confused with it all...

When I called my DBL on Friday, (the last day of orientation), he told me that he (or someone from the weekend shift) would be sending me a work assignment.

Upon getting home a little while ago with the truck, I got that assignment.

OK, so, while I've got that 300+ page book, it does a VERY poor job of explaining the correct procedure I'm to follow to complete said assignment. ie; start to finish, which order to reply to macros in.

I've got a rough idea of how things should go, ie; reply to the P/U Macro when you arrive at/depart from the shipper and receiver and HOW each macro gets filled out, but it's the ORDER that's driving me nuts.

I know I'm to send in a macro 18 daily, but the book tells me that the macro is just for teams. The trainers in orientation said otherwise.

I know I'm to reply to the fuel lvl request for routing, (I've done that), but I'm kind of lost now.

Should I be waiting until tomorrow to send in my macro 18?

I could really use some help on the trip planning portion as well.
    This stuff, to me at least, seems pointless.
    I'm so used to just getting a load assignment, a date and time to be picking up and delivering, routing, and then just doing some basic math for fuel stops (# of gallons in tanks * 5.5MPG = fuel stop).
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around Schneider's way of doing things. Particularly, the ORDER in which to do things...

I really wish they would just hand out some sort of "cheat sheet" that spelled out the order in which I'm to do this stuff. :banghead:

Have I confused everyone?
    I hope not, but then at least I'll no longer be alone, LOL...

Just to kind of recap, I'm guessing I need me hand held in regard to the trip planning and that #### macro 18...

As always, thanks in advance for the assist.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Create your own cheat sheet.

We have a specific order that our macros follow on a daily basis also. They explained it in orientation so quickly, I was lost in the first 5 minutes.

I have a cheat sheet taped to my visor, as well as a list of the 10 most commonly used macros, with a brief explanation of each.

4. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL

That's why I posted.
    Hopefully, some other pumpkin heads will pop in, read this thread and help hold my hand.
    Afterward, I plan on creating a cheat-sheet with the information.

That said, there's no point in putting one together right now since I don't have the procedure sorted out in my rock-filled head yet.

5. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Same story here...

6. GraniteState

GraniteState Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Allenstown, NH
    equip disp pu box
    equip disp dp boc
    pck up
    pck up billing
    del info
    del service
    trip sheet bar code.

scenario one.
    1. leave the house with no trailer go to pu box loc. respond to macro with available boxes.
    2. receive new equip dist stating box they want you to take, ex ta123456
    3. respond to new equip dist with the box num.
    4. go to pick up, respond to drop box disp with trailer 123456
    5. send arrive.
    6 send billing and service
    7. send depart.
    8. send del arrive
    9. send del billing
    10. send bar code
    13. send del depart

7. GraniteState

Aug 23, 2009
    Allenstown, NH
    equip disp pu box
    equip disp dp boc
    pck up pre ld
    pck up billing
    del info drop ld
    del service
    trip sheet bar code.

scenario 2
    1. leave house with ta123456 equip disp drop in scarborough me
    2. arrive in scarborough me.
    3. send pck up arrive
    4. reply dp box ta123456
    5. reply billing
    6. send mac 6 post trip, for got in scenario 1.
    7. send depart.
    8. arrive hollis me
    9. send arrive
    10. send billing
    11. send barcode
    12 send depart, dp ld pubox taxxxxxx
    13. new equip disp pu box taxxxxxx reply

8. GraniteState

Aug 23, 2009
    Allenstown, NH
    mac 6 after each equipment change or the end of your day, i send my mac 18 at the start of every day unless on a load that will take a whole day, then i wait until the end of the day prior to delivery.

9. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Mac 18 is for everyone. You're supposed to send it in every day, and when you get a load.

When I first started with SNI, I was asked to send in my trip plan. That was hard for me to put in writing, I'd never had to do that before. Luckily I was only asked that one time.:biggrin_2559:.

When you get your load info, everything is laid out basically like you're going to do it. Just follow the macro's through, including the one for your barcode. Don't send that in before you actually deliver the load. When that macro first came out, I jumped the gun and sent the barcode in before hand. I wound up being pulled from that load. I got somewhat of a nastygram telling me not to do that. I guess it screwed up the system because the guy that delivered that load ofcourse didn't have my barcode. Oh well, live and learn.:biggrin_2559:

With the fuel macro, I always sent in about 1/8 less than my gauge showed. That way I had a bit of reserve, just in case. You can fuel at an OC any time, and not get whacked on the fuel optimizer.

Now you need to watch about requesting directions. You have the street level. and SNI directions. The street level, in my opinion, are like mapquest or streets and trips. They are for big trucks though. I always cross referenced them with my atlas. They like to use local names for streets/roads instead of using route numbers. I don't know about you, but I could care less about, say, Telegraph road, it's US24 people, I don't care about some of the cutesy local names!!
    The SNI directions are written by drivers, 99.9% of them are accurate. But when they're bad, they're terrible. There is a mac for direction feedback, and you correct them as needed. And they WILL be corrected.

When in orientation, it seemed they gave out some sort of laminated sheet that had a cheatsheet of sorts on one side, and trip planning on the other, IIRC.

Anymore or anything you need help on, let me know. There are a number of others here that could you as well.:biggrin_25525:

Hey, I know you can't PM yet, but I'll send you one anyway, you can still read them.

Good luck on your first load, and don't worry, if you need help, CALL your DBL, that's part of why they're there. You'll catch on in no time.:biggrin_25525:

10. GraniteState

Aug 23, 2009
    Allenstown, NH
    fuel i only respond if i need it and if im in an area uncovered by our network.
    friday i spent the entire day going from scarborough me to hollis me, waited till last ld to send in fuel. filled in kittery before heading home to nh.
    if long run me to pa, i'll respond before i start.

11. S3NTYN3L

S3NTYN3L Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies!

Yeah, I've got the laminated sheet for the macro 18, but it's not of much help to me at this point. I've pretty much got the mechanics of it down, but that darn sheet only serves to make me second guess myself until I get so confused I'm only screwing things up rather than making things better (ie; having a proper trip plan like the company wants).

OMG, I forgot all about those barcode things! :banghead:
    That's something they on briefly and VAGUELY touched upon for a few seconds on Wednesday... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I plan on doing the same thing with my fuel macros so I'll have a bit in reserve as well...

OK so, here's mytrip:

I live about 10 miles from the PU location. Total miles for trip = 272 according to fuel solution I requested when I got home with the truck.

6/28 0100 P/U in Breinigsville, PA AVG DUR = 30minutes OP Window = 0100-2359 LDED MILES = 272
    I have no idea what OP means but that was used in place of AT, ON or BY. I don't have a box number so I suppose I'm either to find an empty or pick up a pre-loaded one.

6/28 0500 DEL in Wheaton, MD AVG DUR = 2hours BY Window = DEL TIME MILES FROM PREV LOC = 163

6/28 1200 DEL Lancaster, PA AVG DUR = 2hours BY Window = 0700-1200 MILES FROM PREV LOC = 109

When I divide the mileage by 50mph my plans have me arriving 30min LATE to the first stop in Wheaton, MD

I know that the AT = an appointment, and that I'm not to arrive any earlier and certainly not any later.
    The BY's and ON's have me a little messed up.
    Am I correct in my thinking that a BY means no later than the second time in a window while still allowing for AVG DUR?
    ANd for the ON's, they simply mean ON that date and within the window while again allowing for AVG DUR?

####, I'm so screwed... :banghead:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.