"School Bus Recertification notice" - IF you allow your School Bus Certification lapse ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wife, Oct 28, 2020.

1. wife

wife Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Husband learned on a School bus to get his CDL - so he could keep a job at the Railroad to drive a Block truck, for the last 4 yrs, he got his Physical every year to keep his School Bus Endorsement (but wasn't driving a School bus)... this year they require 10 hrs training, 7 hrs classroom 3 hrs in bus instruction (according to paper he got).

He did get laid off from the RR recently.. and would like to keep this up, but time is running, out, expires in Dec and the place who trained him on the school bus is not getting back to him about this RECERTIFICATION that will expire in Dec (after all he doesn't even work there)..

If this lapses... will he have to take the Whole Drivers test all over again OR just the written tests ??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Time is running out, so contact the DMV and get the correct answers.
    My guess is, his license will be downgraded until he gets recertified. That's a guess, so make a visit to the DMV and ask there.

4. wife

wife Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2016
    We live in Pa... I called a School bus garage in the last hour... the lady told me the DVM gives you another year past that expiration date to update it.. she also told us since my husband is NOT currently driving a school bus, due to insurance reasons, he can NOT get recertified... so basically if my husband wants to keep it.. he would have to take a job sometime next year and get it recertified..

He is currently laid off (only been a month).. the job they offered right now, he would make less than unemployment (only $63 a day)...

born&raisedintheusa and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Are students attend school where you live or is it virtual schooling?
    Your husband has a Class-B from the railroad doesn't he?
    Probably plenty of Class-B jobs in your area.
    Trillium Staffing probably can use him. If needed, contact Trillium and ask. He can work when he wants to, because it's a staffing agency.
    This company has Class-A, Class-B, Class-C, and non-cdl driving jobs.
    `
    CDL A & B Drivers | Trillium Staffing
    CDL A & B Drivers | Trillium Staffing
    • As a recognized leader among truck driver staffing agencies, we partner with private fleets, third party logistics companies, for hire carriers, and LTL carriers throughout the country to locate safe and professional CDL and non-CDL drivers.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    With a Class-B license, he's qualified to drive Class-B, Class-C, non-CDL trucks.
    `
    The state will pay for training for CDL-A license, if he want to upgrade to Class-A.
    Having a Class-A license also qualifies him to drive Class-B, Class-C, non-cdl trucks.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    I am a former PA school bus instructor and third party CDL examiner. Does he need the school bus certification for his job or just the CDL B with passenger?

Reason I ask is if he doesn't need the actual S card (school bus endorsement in PA) he can let that expire without losing his CDL and passenger endorsement as long as he keeps his physical up to date with PennDOT. I assume he is not, and has not been, actively driving a school bus just maybr a regular passenger bus because of how the bus garage you called is replied. They are correct, the only way to get the 3 hours in bus time that is required is to be actively employed as a school bus driver because they have to observe you doing an actual route for credit on the recert.

By the way, i for some reason he can't pass a physical currently he can opt to self-certify as "excepted intrastate" which will allow him to keep his CDL designation without a valid medical certification (just can't drive except for very limited operations like government agencies).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.