School, or trained by first job?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DexterSaintJock, Nov 27, 2023.

1. DexterSaintJock

DexterSaintJock Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    UPDATED QUESTION:
    I read that future companies you apply for might look down upon a newbiewho got minimal training from theirfirst job that trained them, rather than a private school that gave you 160hours plus... is this true? What shouldI do? And how and where do I get endorsements. I heard to get as many endorsements as I can because itlooks good on the résumé. Which ones do I need for sure? Is hazmat one of them? Will I be able to get themat my first job where they trained me or is it better to get them from the private school? How does that work?Also should I train and test withmanual or automatic? Is manualtransmission better for your résumé?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I got my CDL on my own in the late 90's with no schooling or employer support. I've never driven for anyone, and bet I'm basically unhireable. Maybe I could get hired by somebody I know, but no larger companies.

Rideandrepair and Numb Thank this.
  4. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    I never went to school, I took the test on my own, employer paid for it, because I needed it for work. I have driven for 2 people other than myself, so I’m with @Big Road Skateboard, I’m probably practically unhirable. Unless a good old boy would happen to need help, I would happily take him on a spin so he could see my driving

Rideandrepair and Numb Thank this.
  5. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    Updated: I read that future companies you apply for might look down upon a newbie who got minimal training from their first job that trained them, rather than a private school that gave you 160hours plus... is this true? What shouldI do? And how and where do I get endorsements. I heard to get as many endorsements as I can because itlooks good on the résumé. Which ones do I need for sure? Is hazmat one of them? Will I be able to get themat my first job where they trained me or is it better to get them from the private school? How does that work?Also should I train and test withmanual or automatic? Is manual transmission better for your résumé?

6. Sons Hero

Sons Hero Road Train Member

Jan 8, 2021
    Indiana
    I think all those questions are answered in the myriad other threads you started on here, if you keep asking the same questions from different angles, you will confuse yourself even more

Zoltan1a, ncmickey, Speedy356 and 7 others Thank this.
  7. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    OK thanks yeah I was going back to read the others right now
    I understand but not all of them were answered and some not in detail.

8. DexterSaintJock

Nov 16, 2023
    Montebello, California
    FIRST JOB PAID TRAINING INSTEAD OF PRIVATE SCHOOL

"They aren’t always in-depth, comprehensive courses. After all, it would be nearly impossible to master all the skills required to be a great truck driver in just a few weeks.

The really big kicker here is you may find future employers will look negatively on paid cdl training. Some employers feel the training is insufficient and doesn’t meet their hiring standards."

Do you guys think this statement is true?

9. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    Every company is diff, have their own diff policies. In 93 I went thru a state sponsored votech school at night for three months (while working a day job) got the CDL waiver to get the license at DMV had to take hazmat book test at DMV to get that endorsement. Started out driving a blue truck out of Omaha. Had to go with two different trainers, 6wks each one. Both trainers had to pass you, if one didn't pass you were SOL. The second trainer was just using me as an extra log book and to boost his paycheck. When I realized this, I got released after just 3wks with him with an approval (after telling him I was gay and he was a hunk) roflmao
    That being said, I thought that was way too long to be with in training.it wasn't long enough I found out. First load was with clothes I had on and ended up in Long Island, with a stay at NJ drop yard. They would keep me out for 4-6wks before I could even ask for home time. It's rough at first but gets better with time served. It took me 2yrs OTR before I could tell anybody to not send me anywhere that started with "new".....but that's where the freight is. That and CAN. When I started most places a shower was like $3 some were even free if you had your own towel! Oh how time flies, and the GREED keeps piling up! Just don't get in a hurry about doing ANYTHING, and keep your head on a swivel!! Good luck out there, and thank you for bringing the crap to the stores that people need to survive with! I'm retired now and don't miss none of it(except the paychecks, LoL)

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    It doesn't make a difference how you get your CDL. There is nothing wrong with company paid training. There is nothing wrong with private schooling. Drivers have seen success both ways. You gotta decide which is better for you. I ended up going to a private school but I got much of it funded through the state, and financed the last 1900. Endorsements definition helps, get them all if you can. The more you have, the more open the industry is to you. Your first company, stay for a year. That looks very good too. 1 year is the magic number. 1 year experience plus all endorsements equals the industry opening up to you.

DexterSaintJock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.