School question

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Bubbahyde, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Bubbahyde

Bubbahyde Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I'm looking at getting my CDL this year right now I am currently 20yo but the two schools I am looking into say they can train me in April since I turn 21 in May the first choice is a local community college called Lincoln land community college and I have to go through a non for profit agency to get funding and it's a independent school so I dont know for 100% I'll get a job the other school is premier in granite City Illinois they claim they are like the Yale for trucking schools and they get students trained by getting companies to sponsor them and then I sign a contract with a company for a year. I'm not sure which route to go I want to go to the school that will get me trained and get me a regional job as fast as possible and was just wondering on what you guys think.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I looked at both websites and both schools are 160 hour formal schools. I'm not sure what the 120 hrs. behind the wheel extra at Premier is unless it makes the school 280 hrs. Doesn't matter, both schools are good for jobs.
    Community college cdl schools have a reputation nationwide for excellent training and smaller classes. Drivers on this forum that attended community college programs have nothing but praise for the programs.
    You want a regional job; you know that's usually just running a few surrounding states in a defined area. Is that what you really want?
    Anyway, there's a couple dozen companies that will hire you as a 21 yr. old cdl school graduate.
    Lincoln Land Community College has a pretty good list of companies that hire from their program; local/regional and OTR. The website shows the companies listed have contacted them looking for drivers.
    We can also give you names of companies that aren't on that list.
    Don't worry, you'll be flooded with job offers.

Dan.S and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Bubbahyde

Bubbahyde Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2017
    That's reassuring and yes regional is what I want to do because it has a good balance between road time and home time with good pay.

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go for the community college then, if they have funding available through the non-profit.
    Beelman Truck Company is regional. Not all terminals hire new cdl grads though. Some do. Beelman is listed on the schools list of companies that hire new grads.
    Carter Express - has good reputation for hometime and decent paychecks.
    Schneider Bulk - tanker division hires 21 yr. old drivers & new cdl school grads. Shouldn't have any problem making $1000 to $1500 weekly.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  6. Mooseontheloose

Mooseontheloose Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    St Louis, Metro East
    I am a big fan of the Community College training. My class started with 3 students and ended up with just 2. I got all of the driving preparation needed for passing my test with flying colors. Look into the community college financial aid. This will give you many more options than being stuck with a carrier for a year. I’m sure that you can find endless horror stories within “Truckers Report” forums. And of course the opposite is true. I was able to use my military benefits to cover my tuition.

In the St Louis market, I was hired with zero experience into foodservice. Home daily, finger print unloading, great pay (I made in the 70s my first full calendar year) for a new driver and I was home daily. The younger, the stronger, the better. I did it in my forties and was in the best shape of my life.

Other options are companies like Coke, Pepsi, beer distributors etc.

I think that when you’re trying to get that first year under your belt that you can expect to be either over the road or working product off your trailer locally. I chose the local with the labor but I enjoy the exercise and I believe that it pays better for the extra work. I still do food service but everything is palletized and I use a lift gate instead of a 2 wheeler and a ramp. I still enjoy what I do.

Good luck to you. You have endless informational resources between YouTube and Internet forums.

And, go for the Community College training!

LateNightCable Thanks this.
  7. Mooseontheloose

Mooseontheloose Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    St Louis, Metro East
    Btw, trucking is such an in demand field that you’ll have no problem getting hired once you obtain your cdl

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Go through the Workforce office and take the independent school.

Any old school always think THEY are the "YALE" of some subject. There are thousands of them.

Training is a misnomer. You learn just enough to drive a semi tractor trailer around the block with the nice state tester without hurting anyone or breaking anything. And boom you have your CDL. That is your graduation diploma.

Once you have your CDL, your REAL training, education and schooling will now begin. Bought and paid for you you'rn in blood, sweat and tears. Do not follow the music of the Pied Pipers (Recruiters), go to the truckstop and talk directly to the drivers at the counter.

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  9. Bubbahyde

Bubbahyde Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Thank you all for the information wow I have allot to think about now

10. Bubbahyde

Bubbahyde Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2017
    This may be a stupid question but are there any companies that offer training and allow you to go regional after completion of training

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider has regional accounts by the dozens. They have a cdl school in Gary, IN and I've heard several more scattered around. They might pay for school at 160 Driving Academy. They also will reimburse cdl school tuition directly back to you, up to $7000.00
    www.schneiderjobs.com may show what's available. Lots of new cdl grads go right to regional accounts with Schneider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.