School Rec. for Pet Friendly - KC, MO Midwest

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by TokyoJones, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Have you tried enrolling into APEX CDL Institute? You can pay around $1500 and finance the rest through them. They can also help you get a job.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Travisroland

Travisroland Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Do you really believe that a trainee can expect to make $65.000 plus a year?The Department of Labor and Statistics for 2016 states that the annual median income of a driver is $41,340.And private carriers such as Wal Mart $75,000.If companies actually paid drivers what they posted in ads there would be no driver shortage.People come on this site and hear someone basically repeat the same recruiting ad they could have picked up at the truck stop.And then they are disappointed when it doesn’t come true.Trailiner says there top pay is .44 per mile and I bet that’s with the safety and fuel bonus thrown in.So that rookie is going to have to average 147,727 miles a year.That’s 2840 miles a week.That’s a tall order for most experienced drivers.Doubtful for a rookie. I think people that no this industry do a disservice to folks looking for info if they just repeat the company ads and don’t help people understand that the companies throw out numbers that are deceiving and lies at best.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Annual median income doesn't mean anything; that's just an average of all drivers nationwide. One driver was complaining he only makes $30K when the recruiter told him he could make $60K. When the truth came out, that driver wouldn't run long runs and wants to be home every day and do nothing but drop & hook because long runs would interfere with his hobby of dirt biking. Many times drivers deceive themselves, but blame the company.
    There's even Swift drivers making $65K - $70K right out of Swift cdl school and others living in poverty. Much as to do with a persons work ethic as to how much money they can make. I always try to assume everyone choosing trucking has a strong work ethic, even though I know that's not always true.
    I've posted that line haul teams can split 1/4 million dollars a year, then had people bash me big time for lying. Then line haul teams post that, that money figure is true and some split even more.
    Many drivers with years on the road get upset to think someone just starting out can make thousands more than they can each year. Doesn't bother me; just proves they made better choices than I did.
    This statement, "So that rookie is going to have to average 147,727 miles a year.That’s 2840 miles a week"
    Again, most of us won't work for just cpm; we go with companies that also have accessorial pays that are achievable.
    I recall a driver a while back posting about how he was lied to when a company said their drivers were making around $80K. He said he wasn't making even half that. When the truth came out, he was only shuttling trailers around town and refused to do OTR.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Dan.S, Brucely and TokyoJones Thank this.
  6. Travisroland

Travisroland Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2015
    You say the median income is the average of all drivers nationwide.Which for 2016 was $41,340.So if Swift,Schneider,TMC,JB Hunt,Werner and the rest of the American Trucking Association Carriers put out recruitment ads saying come here and make $65,000 to $70,000 a year.You can’t be saying that the average US driver has a poor work ethic or is just lazy.That’s a lot of lazy drivers don’t you think.Could it be that these ATA Carriers are blowing a lot of smoke up someones rear.If they’re pay was that good they would not have such a high turn over.A driver is willing to put up with a lot if the pay is right.I no there are some experienced company drivers that are making 90k to 100k a year and they mostly work for private carriers that do not publish ads.Don’t take this as I’m bashing you,its just a conversation.I think we need to let folks no that they are most likely not going to achieve that top pay those ads are promoting.Because the majority of those drivers making median pay work for that ATA Carrier crowd.

TokyoJones and Chinatown Thank this.
  7. TokyoJones

TokyoJones Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the interesting conversations and recommendations. I've applied to a couple carriers, but I'm still interested in other options. The pet-friendly aspect is pretty important too me, and google+old reviews aren't getting me very far.

CFI looks promising, but I haven't heard from a recruiter yet. Anyone have recent experience with Maverick? They are no-go for pets (according to the web, haven't called yet), but their training, pay, and commitment is pretty good looking.

8. TokyoJones

Feb 20, 2018
    Kansas City, MO
    I have looked at those services as well as Driver Solutions. My issue with them is that I have to pay them up front, pay my way there, and then hope for a job with a mega afterword. If I had that kind of time, Community College would be a better idea. Starting with a company that offers to pay me during training also makes more sense.

These schools are just "this side" of a bad idea, and my research backs that up. If I lived in an area that offered no other options, and I couldn't get on at a carrier school, they'd be the way to go. Thanks for recommending another avenue though! I do appreciate it.

Siinman Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl Transport has cdl school & pet policy.
    "As a member of TeamRoehl, you can bring your spayed or neutered dog or cat in the truck."

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    TokyoJones Thanks this.
  10. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    If I am not mistaken, Roehl's policy is 6 months experience (for GYCDL graduates) before a pet is allowed.

11. TokyoJones

Feb 20, 2018
    Kansas City, MO
    6 months would be a bummer, but it seems many of these trucker mills are like that. It would be a worthy sacrifice though to get the license and experience. Doggo can hang out back home for a while.

12. Brucely

Brucely Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    SO IT IS possible to make 65k in your first year :D.

btw, so do CDL schools pay? I'm confused. I thought you pay for CDL training, not the other way around.

Also, to OP. Tbh, i don't think it's fair for your dog if you take him with you driving. I have a dog too... but you know, dogs don't like to sit on your lap or on a seat. They want to roam and love to run free outside. They don't even really like being inside :p but are kind of "domesticated" into liking it.

Your dog won't complain being in your truck, but you know... that doesn't mean he wants to be there.

And I'm pretty sure you're not stopping every 2 hours to let him run around in the grass.

So that said, idk. I don't think you can own a pet and be a truck driver at the same time. But I guess i'm still a newbie.

13. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some dogs love the trucking lifestyle and can hardly wait to hit the road with their owner. They love being with that human that takes them trucking across America. Many trucking companies advertise that the drivers are welcome to take the dog along. Dogs that are used to trucking have depression problems if they're left behind and that's a real problem for the dog and whoever is caring for the dog.

TokyoJones Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs