Scotlynn Commodities Inc

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by BigHossVolvo, Apr 19, 2018.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Class 1 Driver to run USA job - Scotlynn Commodities Inc. - Calgary, AB | Indeed.ca

Seen these guys around in Vancouver/California, lots of nice bight colored trucks and trailers.

There was also this guy on Youtube for who drives for them (was Formally a trainer at Hyndman Transport)
    Venomous Transport

Anyway, looks like their expanding into Alberta now, already seen a couple W900's running around with their trailers in Calgary and Lethbridge.

Just kinda curious what their deal is, and how they can have W900/389 company trucks 260inch WB, pulling 53 foot reefers? Not much comes up when searching on here for reviews in general.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    The only reason carriers want lease operators is because it costs them less than having drivers in company trucks and they can off-load a lot of the risk without losing any revenue. In fact, fleeces, err... leases, create a whole new source of income (by way of maintenance contracts, financing charges, etc.) for a lot of carriers and instead of a big 'ole liability, they now have a handsome asset. As a sharecropper, err... lease "operator", you're not imagining that feeling of discomfort. Those shiny trucks are a prestidigitation to distract you from the dry screwing you're getting.

One huge red flag is when a company offers a lease with "no credit check or down payment." I have leased many millions of dollars of equipment over the years on behalf of companies I worked for, owned, or for my own personal use, and EVERY TIME I/the company had to undergo a credit check and the vast majority of time a down payment was also required. You know why? (Of course you do, but someone in the audience might not). Risk! Now, if a company can miraculously forego that security, ask yourself how? Because they're in complete control and have no risk that isn't being managed and/or offset by revenue. It isn't the lease operator that is getting rich.

In the not-too-distant-past, Scotlynn was known as a place where you were expected to run hard... VERY hard... (hey, that $20,000,000 lakeside home isn't going to pay off its mortgage on its own, you know... get back in the seat and keep that left door closed, slacker). They were so well-liked by the MTO that enforcement officers would park on the main road to their facility for the sole purpose of personally greeting their drivers. I don't know what they're doing to survive in this new age of electronic nannies.

They also had many creative ways to generate revenue for the company in the form of fines for various transgressions being levied against drivers... company and lease alike. I was told their insurance deductible was $25,000, :eek: but you could buy it down to $2,500. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I hope those inverters are wired properly, lest you suffer the fate of several of their drivers. :( But just in case, sleep with one eye open and your pants on.

OTOH, they could be a great place to work, but I never trust a company that offers leases.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Companies do not go out of their way to make lease operators rich, don't trust smiling faces:) Myself I never got into owning or leasing because I don't need the aggravation but that is not saying its not good for other more ambitious folks.
    Ok,,,its shucking and jiving time:D

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  5. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Now that is some good info! I'm more just interested in them as a company, since I don't know anything about them, just see all these shiny trucks.

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Trucking is a commoditized business.
    commoditize: to render (a good or service) widely available and interchangeable with one provided by another company​

Scotlynn doesn't have a super-secret stash of high-paying customers that none of their competitors know about. Sure, there can be a few exceptions, but overall, and especially as companies get bigger, they have the same customers, they have the same costs, so where does the money for those shiny trucks and fancy offices come from? Are they *that* much more efficient than their competitors?

In highly competitive and commoditized businesses -- like trucking and financial services -- if there is a company doing essentially the same thing, but is a real standout, it often doesn't end well... especially for the minor participants.

7. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    As noted, just another bunch of scammers. And these guys are so stupid they don't even know the basic R.T.A.C, rules as the original poster noted, so what else is wrong with this picture? Run away fast...

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  8. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    They probably force their drivers to run as soon as their 10 hours is up, whether it’s 9pm or 3am would be my guess.
    I don’t know, they hire lease ops endlessly meaning they have a high turnover most likely. I’m sure you can make great money as an O/O (not lease op*) though since they probably have lots of miles and reefer pay is above average. But you’d probably have to have your rig paid for and a new emissions truck for California to make it work.

Oldironfan and BigHossVolvo Thank this.
  9. 6rider

6rider Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Ontario
    In Ontario where they’re from, didn’t new SPIF rules allow up to 280” rigs hooked to 53ft trailers?!

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea, I was more just curious about them, being from Alberta we don't know much about them; other than what you read on Indeed/GlassDoor/Truckers Report. I know guys will be interested, so its good to have the information when those questions come up.

I see they have a youtube channel, with lots of slickly produced videos, talking about how great they're, and how they're the best at everything lol. Very Bison-esque, which should send most people in the know running.

3noses Thanks this.
  11. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    BigHossVolvo and not4hire Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.